Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on electrical tools

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Yeah Metabo's are pretty decent. I've got a Metabo 240v drill and it's awesome. Wattmaster pliers are the same style as the Marvel's - They're great for cutting cables and stuff too - don't cut catinery wires though as it's an excellent way to destroy a set.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
btw just to let you know. if you buy makita stuff and your an apprentice you can get some good cashback deals.
$200 back for spending over $1000 is pretty good if you ask me.

and if you have a current pair of pliers, use those for cat wires, steel really does screw good pairs of pliers up.

Parraeels101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Ive got Crescent pliers, and I dont rate them. The cutting section has one flat edge and one sharp edge, so I find I have to flip the tps over to bite both sides before it will strip it. And they also rusted out pretty quick. Looking for a better set and will probably keep these for cateneries or whatever.

Other pliers include sidecutters and needlenose (Sidchrome), and JBS bent needlenose, multigrips and mini sidecutters.

Spanners, Ive got about 5 rolls of Sidchrome sets, metric and AF, ring, OE and combo. Very good quality gear.

Screwdrivers are also Sidchrome, plus I have a set of Stanleys (with the plastic handles). Neither set is insulated, however I do prefer the Sidchrome set as they are far more comfortable to use. I find the Stanley ones hard to grip if your hands are a bit sweaty or whatever.

Got a Fluke 179 meter. Its a general purpose meter but still has some good features. Highly recommended brand.

One of my favourites is me set of Cabac ratchet cable cutters, theyll cut through anything.

Other tools Ive found to come in handy are a gyprock saw, conduit cutters, pin/punch set, allen keys, hammer, etc.

We use Dewalt drills at work and I reckon they go alright. But other good brands have been mentioned like Makita, Panasonic, Hitachi and Milwaukee.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Doesn't anyone use Nipex pliers ? I thought they were supposed to be the best ..

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
People rave over them, haven't really seen them in action but I don't think their insulated so they would see a lot of use in trades where you would the insulation.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ah glad to here Nipex is still up there, I bought 1 pair to use on the car and round the house and they seem to go OK.
For cordless tools if you ever need one that won't cost a million bucks Ryobi is the goods. I've been using a 14.4V Ryobi cordless drill for 7years and given it lots of punishment and its still rageing. I've even chopped a tree down with it !!