Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock supercharger on V6ecotec

boardyboy

Reaction score
Hey,

Is it possible to fit a stock supercharger to a v6ecotec?

Does anyone know the differences between the two engines and what would need to be swapped over?

Cheers

D

De Racer

Don't think so

Think I have heard that its not too easy at all, more is different than you would expect.

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
Not too sure on all the differences btwn the engines. The supercharged (L67?) was a bit different to the na engine(L62 I think). The compression in the na donk was 9.4:1 compared to 9.0:1 in the supercharged engine. There were some other differences. It may have been different valve springs and possibly a different cam. I havent really heard much about ease of fitting the factory supercharger to the na model. There are supercharged crate engines (L67 engine) around at many shops for a pretty good price. Hope it helps.

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
From what I hear, putting a supercharger on the n/a engine will never give you the same performance as if you had the stock supercharged engine... And it will cost alot too.

I remember hearing somewhere that brand new from holden supercharged ecotecs are only around $3,500..

You could try finding one at a wreckers or somewhere like that too..

Cheers

D

De Racer

From what you hear

From what I hear, putting a supercharger on the n/a engine will never give you the same performance as if you had the stock supercharged engine... And it will cost alot too

Its not likely to cost more and performance wise the aftermarket kits are likely to give more power per psi when applied to the NA engine.

You need a new source to hear from :D

Redfox

Reaction score
Super6 engines have a stronger bottom end already. If you threw a charger on a stock ecotec, you would geting similar performance, but possibly eventually at the expense of your engine components. Thus it's often best to just get a Stock Supercharged engine instead of spending money to rebuild your stock ecotec... unless you really want to!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ecotech is the L36 and the Super6 the L67.
The ecotech runs 9.4:1 comp where as the Super6 is 8.5:1
Plus some other items are different, do a search I have covered this before.
AirStrike :air:

T

Tradewind

The ecotech runs 9.4:1 comp

9.4:1 is a good comp rate to use 7 or so psi on, gives excellent fuel economy and throttle response. Would be fine on an ECOTEC and have no long term implications. Fine on other engines.

The L67 would be the best if you were going for higher boost pressures.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If 6-7psi is fine running at 9.4:1 comp why would GM chose to speand there time making a whole new engine with stronger rods, pistons and drop the comp?? Hell they must of been bored??
It will run, but for how long??
AirStrike :air: