Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] shudder once installed new clutch

psivyv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportswagon!!!
iv got a vy v6 ute and installed a new NPC cushion button clutch with a solid flywheel, now when i have the car turned near full lock and take off something rattles and when im driving at about 2-2500rpm the car shudders/vibrates iv heard a few things about solid flywheel makin noises at low rpm but cany anyone help me at all?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Button clutches, as you should know, are made to be wither fully engaged or fully disengaged. They dont like to be slipped. At low rpm and on slipping they will shudder because they dont have the smooth engagement of an organic plate.

other reason could be:

finger prints (oils) on the flywheel face and/ or clutch plate

solid flywheel setup, in conjunction with button clutch, will most definitely bring out any rattles or noises in the gb as it is a more direct and less forgiving clutch engagement.

psivyv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportswagon!!!
whan taking off at the lights the ute takes off fine, it just weird when ur in 1st or 2nd goin 2500rpm the whole car shudders slightly, if there was fingerprints or oil on the flywheel u think it would slip worse when taking off wouldnt u? it kind of feels like the flywheel isnt balanced correctly?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
as i said, they do transfer a lot more vibes. maybe you are just used to the smoothness of the dual mass

psivyv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportswagon!!!
yeah i think u might b right

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I had a vibration and roughness at 2500rpm when I swapped from dual mass to the solid exedy fly. I was convinced that the flywheel was out of balance and it annoyed the **** out of me till I decided I'd pull the flywheel out again and get it mirror balanced to the auto flexplate that was previously on the car (I converted from auto). Problem was, no one would touch the flywheel and I had to put it back in again without balancing!!! Anyway, I found out later on that while it was the flywheel letting the roughness be converted from the engine to the car, it was actually all the things attached to the engine that magnified the vibrations and caused the most trouble... By playing around with the extractors I managed to eliminate a lot of the vibration, the rest seems to be in the tailshaft. Make sure your tailshaft to gearbox rubber bolts are done up nice and tight.

psivyv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportswagon!!!
ok so NPC have been very good and have told me they will mirror balance my old flywheel to my new flywheel for free, they also said to check the harmonic balancer before i send off my flywheel, how do i tell if the hormonic balancer has **** itself or not workin correctly?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I believe you look for cracks in the plastic (?) and seperation of the plastic to the metal.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Yeah look for obvious signs of rubber wear and also give it a bit of a twist around by hand to see if the rubber has softened at all. If you can bend it around by hand then there's a good chance it will wobble when you take off