Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Reverse mounting a VN S2 intake on VN S1 V6

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Hey guys,

I have been researching for the past couple of weeks whether or not this is doable, and so far I've found out, that yes, you can mount a S2 intake on a S1, yes, you can mount the Buick's Intake Manifold rotated 180 degrees, but what I'd really like to know is: Can you reverse mount a VN S2 intake on a VN S1 motor? My reason for doing this is so that I can keep the thermostat housing at the back as I believe it looks far cleaner and wiring modification/coolant plumbing would be at a minimum.

Also another question on the fuel rails, is it possible to mount them as such, so the pipe that joins the two rails, is still at the front with the manifold mounted in reverse? would this require a custom pipe?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
markER717

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
i've been told and seen that the manifolds are a straight swap as in reversing. not sure about the series one and two stuff.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
the manifold will be reversiable on the series one bottom end if you drill the holes in the heads for the pvc valve/ breather ports

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
the manifold will be reversiable on the series one bottom end if you drill the holes in the heads for the pvc valve/ breather ports

I've heard you can run the series two manifold, without drilling the PCV breathers? something about using the rocker cover breathers?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
better to run the pvc breathers, also log onto msn ya gimp

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
the s2 manifold has an internal pcv. its the bolt at the front next to the thermostat housing. but if its a concern you could just stick a S1 rocker cover on and run an external pcv like an old red motor and then breathe it back to the TB....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the s2 manifold has an internal pcv. its the bolt at the front next to the thermostat housing. but if its a concern you could just stick a S1 rocker cover on and run an external pcv like an old red motor and then breathe it back to the TB....

for the PCV to work you would still need to drill one hole in the head.

the thermostat housing will be facing the wrong way when it's at the back of the engine.

tha goviner

Reaction score
i done the conversion to mine a while ago havnt had that many problems yet lol

dos the car need the pcv cause i didnt do that part of the conversion

Alex R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
i think pcv is just an emmissions thing so whilst it should run fine its technically not roadworthy

Last edited:

tha goviner

Reaction score
yea it dos run fun lol i done the conversion a while ago but isnt the pcv internal in the s2 manifold