Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

twin turbo ecotec, turbo selection?

jenkos_vl

Reaction score
howdy all, was wondering on oppinons, im lookin at doin a twin turbo vs, thou im unsure on the right turbos to use. . i was thinkin along the lines of 2X t03's but have herd that'll they'll be a bit laggy with a 3.8 any one done this? i want a nice streeter with boost commin on early.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
consider a smaller sized turbo

remember - if your putting twin turbos on a V6 - your effectively putting one turbo on a 3cyl car. you find me the person of sound mind who can work out a decent compression map and tuning setup that will make ANY kind of gain out of a garret t3 on a 3 cyl motor.

be realistic about your turbo selection (whatever you end up using) think about what you want out of the motor in terms of hp. throwing a giant 1000hp truck turbo on your 3.8 is not going to give you 1000hp.

honesltly mate, in my personal opinion (now others will argue with me here and thats fine .. its an OPINION)

Twin turbocharging a holden 3.8 sounds cool in theory - but you'll be hard pressed to prove it to anybody when nothing happens until the last 2 seconds of a gear when your car can finally generate enough pressure. but by then .. your already changing gear.

go a single, medium sized turbo and you'll experience the seat of your pants rush a whole lot earlier, and efficiently.
But best of luck with it all and keep us all posted on your progress, we all love to see forced induction going places where it shouldn't really go... lol! :thumbsup:

P

powerhungry

s0sage said:
Twin turbocharging a holden 3.8 sounds cool in theory - but you'll be hard pressed to prove it to anybody when nothing happens until the last 2 seconds of a gear when your car can finally generate enough pressure. but by then .. your already changing gear.

go a single, medium sized turbo and you'll experience the seat of your pants rush a whole lot earlier, and efficiently.
:

Well- not necessarily. A couple of guys on the other forum would argue with that. One guy i think ran a 10.4 second qtr. Not a lot of lag there.

A twin turbo set-up would be awesome but to do it right very costly. Not so much for the turbos themselves but things like custom manifold etc, etc.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
you can run twin or single turbo and with the right driveline combo, run some great times, but you can lose streetability....so its up to the guy spending the cash i reckon......

C

Comcrazy

I agree with sOsage .. a single GT30 will do the job with a good set of manifolds that have had some thought put into the job they need to do, not just finding the easiest route around the engine bay. Ie: Tuned length ... It all makes a difference with spool up times. But thats just my opinion.

jenkos_vl

Reaction score
yea i found a guy sellin a set-up with mainfolds, turbos, bov, dual throttle body manifolds. for a decent price. . n the turbos where t03's. . i could always ditch them n go sum gt25's (thats wat that site recomended that 'ecotec maniac' posted). .

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
turbo of a vg30 nissan motor single setup does the job nicely on std compression they are cheep round 350.00for low klm of importers .mines been on 65000 klm never had a prob.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
got any pics of the engine bay hinterland?

B

blofly

I have seen a couple of three cylinder triumph speed tripple motorcycles running a turbo set up before and they had awesome power and response so I am thinking that a twin turbo 3.8L V6 is a worthwhile project, what if you were to use a turbo from a VG30 300ZX for the lower boost say 6 psi and use the wastegated exhaust gas to feed the second turbo maybe a T03 or T04 or even a T03/T04 hybrid at least them you would have fairly good response and a top end rush
just a thought though ;)