Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo better than Single Turbo?

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Is a Twin Turbo set up better than a single turbo set up and why?

We were just after some input from the forum members as to what their opinions are on this subject as each seems to have its own following.

Cheers BCT

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
from what i've heard, a twin turbo setup is useful if you have one small one, and one big one - it lessens lag? I'm not sure on this, so dont quote me...

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if your going to have a twin turbo setup then why not ahve a turbo...and a supercharger....ive seen it done at CAPA and the results were awesome...
all they used was a t/04 turbo that ran straight through to the supercharger on top of the block...get the best of both worlds for the same price as a twin tubo setup

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
jack.mcintyre said:
from what i've heard, a twin turbo setup is useful if you have one small one, and one big one - it lessens lag? I'm not sure on this, so dont quote me...
what your saying there is true. think about it...
The turbo is run by the exhaust, therefore, the bigger the turbo, the faster the exhaust has gotta go in order for it to spin the rotors. so what some people do, instead of having 2 identical turbo's, have a smaller one, and then a larger one. if this dosnt make sense you can PM me about it all.

Back to the question, i'd have to say that this (above) twin turbo set-up would be more ideal, aside from having a super!

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
if yoy have a look at hinterland's post on making a new intake manifold for ecotech, he says he is going to run a turbo with an eaton charger between the turbo and the TB.
How would this go on a twin turbo setup
Twin turbo twin supercharger commodore!!!!!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Depends how its set up.

Twins in series - so the smaller starts pushing through until the larger is wound up and then the larger takes over. Or running parralell I guess, two smaller turbo's/ instead of one larger turbo. Improved spool time, better efficiency and same power.

The latter being easier to setup - Because when you think about running them in series, the first mode of delivery kinda restricts the second. i.e. a small turbo or small blower will have to be bypassed once the larger turbo has reached its power band.

I'd stick with two smallish turbo's in paralell.

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
The twin staged setup that works to the best of my knowledge is as follows:

The main turbo is the small unit that is plumbed to your exhaust manifolds as normal and blows into the intake plenum.
The dump pipe from the small unit discharges into the exhaust entry of the large unit, the large unit draws air from the air cleaner and then pumps into the entry of the compressor housing of the small unit.
This type of set up works relatively well and has the best of both worlds,quick spool up and high levels of boost. Ideal for methonal applications.

Its good to see you guys have lots of different ideas as to set ups. As far as the S/C Turbo combo in my opinion this sounds like an awesome idea using a turbo to blow through a Supercharger providing that the Supercharger isnt an eaton M90, if I was to do somthing along these lines I would use somthing like a Whipple or Autorota with matched male and female screws to prevent leakage.

Cheers BCT

B

blofly

if you were to run a turbo charger into a supercharger how would you go about intercooling the final charge? I mean after air is compressed by a turbo it is about 80-90degrees sometimes then stuff it into a supercharger and heat it up even more? And what about the cost of the supercharger robbing 15% of the crankshaft horsies?