Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

step by step manifold making

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
thought i would throw this up as there might be someone out there wanting to make a front connection manifold like the gen3 has. i will put up pics as progress happens daily till its finished.im trying to do this without a welder so any one can with a bit of abillity and basic tools . i will be useing drill,4 inch grinder with 1mm cut of wheel, belt sander ,,6mm tap,my barby table as the work bench and a big g clamp.

DAY 1
bought cut of disk 1mm cost 2.50 hope it last the job out
had upper vt ecotech manifold i got from wreckers cost 25.00
FIRS STEP
clamped to bench upside down and where the edge starts to roll over attacked with grinder just so leaving about 2mm proad of inner face refer pic 1
SECOND STEP
fliped over and clamped again and ready to run over the surface with belt sander just so everything looked preaty flat.refer pic 2
THIRD STEP
at the front of the manifold bace we have created i cut of 15mm square to the front lip that is directly behind the thermastat housing reasons being oveious later .refer pic 3
FOURTH STEP
i drilled a pilot whole through the centre of the 4 threaded lugs that the fuel rail bolts to and turned over so i could run a straight edge through the holes and mark it because i need to drill more holes 50 mm apart around the hole edge useing the first holes as a starting point to eventualy hold the side part of the new manifold.also taped them out with metric 1.0x6 tap.refer pic 4

well 3 hours gone ill try and do bit more after work.

Last edited:

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
STEP 5
well this is most difficult bit but time taken easy to do.the origanal nose bit that the throutle body bolted 2 needs to cut of so that when trimed up can be bolted to the front of the base plate.if you look at the top of it where the old top plate bolted on there are 2 6mm holes in a nice machined bit you have to cut 2mm in front of that and sraight down on 90deg angle .the only reason 2mm is gives tou bit to play with because once cut of you run it over the belt sander to get nice flat surface .the pics will tell the story better.
bye this stage you will neet to ring up steel place and order a piece of 3mm alloy sheet lenght needs to be 1 metre width including 2x 15 mm folds 120mm.get them to fold a 15mm 90 degree on the both lengh sides as this will end up being the sides of new manifold .
STEP 6
mounting the bit we just finnished is easy as drilling 2 holes .place it on the edge where you cut the 15 mm bit of in step 3 mark the wholes so that the mount is level at front and level with the longer edge as shown in pic 2

tommorow another day wateing for alloy for sides so thats it today.total time spent including scrating the head 4 hours cost so far $2.50

Attachments

• PCDV00197.jpg
    PCDV00197.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
good work keep it coming

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
no problem because a motor draws the air it wants you only have problems when you carnt give it enough . as soon as this little projects finnished im going to put up the mods needed for my new blower thats why the manifold conversion the blower a eaton45 will sit between it and the turbo.

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Great work there hinterland

keep the project rolling along and keep us updated :thumbsup:

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
Day 2

well waighting on the sheet alloy hopefully by lunch they tell me so the smorning i cleaned throutle body and base of manifold had to cut the exelarator cable bracket as pic shows and also put slight bend in the alloy fuel line that joins the 2 fuel rails also shown in pic .got carried away and lashed out and bought a tin of red engine enamel $6.50 "more expence"so the bracket and underside of manifold are now gleaming out in the sun drying.i have put it together to see what clearences i have when on lower part of manifild and we have success clears thermastat housing and fuel line preavesly mentioned that we bent clears as well so all is good.cleares the bonnet by bout 15 to 20 mm without a linner so that should be all good to.
well untill i get me alloy im stumped so maybey back the sarvo with more progress. total time so far 6.5 hours cost $9.00

Attachments

• PCDV01100.jpg
    PCDV01100.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 366
  • PCDV01101.jpg
    PCDV01101.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 356
  • PCDV01103.jpg
    PCDV01103.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 300

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dude the M45 is designed for engine between 1-1.5lts!! It will just be a restriction on a ecotech.....I mean **** the super charged minis even use a bigger blower (M62)..
AirStrike :air:

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
hi im going to port out the 45 as im only using it for instant power till my turbo spools up which is about 2000 rpm the blower will be between the turbo and inlet with a read type valve ive desighned should work fine. the reason for the 45 is that it uses way less hp to run than a 90 (stock 1) and i will be able to have it share he turbos intercooler and being phisaclly smaller will fit between new manifold and turbo.
ive found not to much info on blower and turbo combo,s only what i have done myself i had an old 300zx nissan with same type combo was good for 300rwhp so thought why not try the old ecotech see what she gets with costs being under the 2000.00 dollar mark. im going to post the whole exersize here from making the bits turbo manifold the lot so time will tell.
thanks for the critasism