Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Growler

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
Hi Everyone,

I had a 2 hole mode on my VZ V6 and thought it was the best mod I'd done and wasn't going to pay $500 to $600 for the Air Intake kits.
Picked up a SS Growler kit for it a few days ago complete for $100 on Gumtree. Gave it all a good wash and installed it.
I've read that you might have to drive it 500 km for the computer to learn.. My VZ must not have read about that because as soon as I took it for it's first drive it had more get up and go.
The suction noise is there from about a 1000 rpm and gets better the higher you rev it, If it's still learning and going to get better WOW. Also the engine seems to run better ??.
Best $100 bucks I ever spent. Today I'll be installing new shocks and lowered springs all around.
Here's a pic of it installed.

Attachments

• 20160417_095239.jpg
    20160417_095239.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 569

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
$100 for all that, wow you did do well. Hows the sucking noise going down the highway, is it noticeable from inside the vehicle.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Good to hear , SS inductions cop some flak from people , unjustly I feel .

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
$100 for all that, wow you did do well. Hows the sucking noise going down the highway, is it noticeable from inside the vehicle.

It's not too bad on the highway, You can hear it. , It sounds great. But it really growls from take off and settles down when it gets into top gear. I don't know if it's me but the exhaust note sounds better too.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Of course you're happy with it and supposedly feel a gain. You paid 100 bucks for it. The reality is it does 3 tenths of bugger all power wise but just makes the induction louder. I threw one on my VX purely because I wanted some sort of noise from it and it was cheap.

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
Of course you're happy with it and supposedly feel a gain. You paid 100 bucks for it. The reality is it does 3 tenths of bugger all power wise but just makes the induction louder. I threw one on my VX purely because I wanted some sort of noise from it and it was cheap.

You may be right about gaining nothing powerwise and I did get it cheap but it sounds good. That's all that matters.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I've read that you might have to drive it 500 km for the computer to learn.. My VZ must not have read about that because as soon as I took it for it's first drive it had more get up and go.

After your last post.
You may be right about gaining nothing powerwise and I did get it cheap but it sounds good. That's all that matters.

It didn`t have more get up and go?

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
After your last post.

It didn`t have more get up and go?

To me it did have more get up and go and sounded better but I was just replying to wraith's comment above mine where he says it would have 3 tenths of bugger all more power.
No need for a pissing match with him, I'm comparing my car to before and after and it goes quicker and harder now.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Exactly right. Same reason I did it.