Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust setup?

A

aussieboy

hey guys, i did a search on here and cant really find what im after.
the sound i want out of an exhaust is as close to a v8 sound as i can get, i love loud, and that bubbling sound you get after taking your foot off the gas, but also want it to be legal, what am im going to need to get this??

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
what he said, or you can just get a 2.5inch cat back with no resnator and some extractors, it will sound good but wont have the sound of a V8 cause its a V6....

A

aussieboy

i know i wont get a v8 sound, thats why i said how can i get close to it? you say cat back with no res is that legal?, what would sound better twin cats into 2.5 pipe, or just the one??

MBS206

Reaction score
You won't get close to it unless you're misfiring.
It's a 6, not an 8.
You'll be able to reproduce the cackling and burbling sound though if you can get slight amounts of fuel into the exhaust (Raw)... That's the cackling and burbling. Most of your fuel/air mixture is burnt, a little bit isn't. That little bit is what gives the burble and cackle.
If you can get an exhaust that amplifies all of the engine sound (well, not so amplify, but not muffle as much), you'll hear that sound alot better.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if you get a good cam grind you'll get a bit of that crackle...as MBS206 said..its from un-combusted fuel....which flows straight out the exhaust valve from an overlap in the valve openings (air and fuel valve open at same time as exhaust valve)
any v6 cars you see (hear) that have that really v8 sounding crackle and burble will have a bigger cam (or a really rich tune- or both,lol)

LOWDEO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
a nice loud exhaust i had on mine was from engine pipes 2.5 inch to welded pipe in 3 inch cat then 3 inch cat back. didnt know it was like that tho. but that was loud. no v8 tho. v6 are to smooth for a sound like that.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
My mate has a twin cat system right thru the car with pacemaker headers. When he revs say to 5k and backs off it gets some backfiring which sounds awesome. he paid $1200 for the system took 4 hours cause they accidently managed to break the heater tap.

It was done by Best Mufflers http://www.bestmufflers.com/

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Last edited by a moderator: