Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

single turbo v6

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
gday pplz,
sorry if this has been covered before, i couldn't find the exact info i wanted in a search.

with a single turbo v6, would the turbo run from 1 bank of both?

what are the advantages or disadvantages of using only 3 cylinders to run the turbo?

should 6 be used or 3?

would a 2.5inch exhaust be sufficient or would a 3 inch be better suited?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
The only way a single turbo set up will work is off both sides full stop, however you can run identical turbo's of each side. and yes 3inch would be the go IMO

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
talk 2 Blown VS he just took his turbo setup off his vs so have a word with him as he would know

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
running a single turbo on a v6 motor is a bit dodgey as you need to run a crossover pipe around the back of the motor. you would be better of running 2x smaller turbos, and turning the stock manifolds upside down and modify the flanges to suit the turbo flanges. then u need to worry about supplying oil and water to the turbos, upgrading the fuel system, and perhaps lower the compression, v8 brakes and diff, it goes on....

hope i havnt scared ya away from doin the conversion. it has been done many times, and what is starting to get popular is dropping in a RB30ET (vl turbo motor)

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
cheers for the replys,
i might be better off running 2 smaller turbos.

i have had my first taste of boost with a little sc14 blower and i want more.
im pretty keen to take on the turbo conversion.

i was just a little unsure about the manifold configuration but now i know.

i have been told a series 1 exhaust manifold might be the go to start a prototype, but are they mirrored on both sides?
by that i mean can i use the left hand exhaust manifiold on the right bank?
and the right hand manifold on the left bank?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
This is probably the easy way out for you (if you find a large single turbo).

You can leave one header where it is, flip the other one over, weld a pipe into the back of the flipped one and weld a flange or an extension and a flange on the old outlet of the flipped header. Done :)

Then you need bigger injectors, a 2 bar map sensor, a new tune and hopefully (if you want to go real fast) an intercooler. Instant 12 second car

Attachments

• dc_12.jpg
    dc_12.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,177
  • 8e_3.jpg
    8e_3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,108

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Ugh, that setup is just nasty. You don't have to run a pipe around the back of the motor. My initial single turbo design had it running around the front. Twins are more difficult, as the drivers side turbo dump pipe is a tight fit, especially if you have ABS.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
The only problem is there isnt much room for a pipe to run behind the motor, This problem was encounted on the vengence car and they had to run the pipe down in front of the motor as there is heaps of room there.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
How much of a problem is the heat? as heat wrapping can be bad for mild steel pipe... rust etc.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ugh, that setup is just nasty. You don't have to run a pipe around the back of the motor. My initial single turbo design had it running around the front. Twins are more difficult, as the drivers side turbo dump pipe is a tight fit, especially if you have ABS.

Yeah man we all know turbo buicks were crap:p, but really if you wanted to make a nice simple do it in one day turbo install and run a 12 the next morning you would have to think about doing it like that