Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom Exhaust

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
Hey guys, im gonna be coming into possesion of a 96 VS acclaim sedan soon and i was thinking about making a custom exhaust so it runs out in the centre of the car. Just wondering if the new bends in the pipe will reduce performance much because of backpressure and such.

Thanks

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
mate i'm guessing you are running an 8, doesn't matter anyway, aslong as you do neat flowing bends there is no problem. If you look at how the twin systems run on hsv's they bend after the mufflers to the left hand side. If you are running a 6 the extra bends are not going to cause any decrease, it depends on wat size you go, if you go to big you will lose your low down power

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
i do have a 6 sorry for posting in the wrong section, i was thinking of going a 2.25 all the way through but im gonna try and keep the pipes as straught as possible. Also just with getting more flow from the exhaust instead of getting a high flow cat i was thinking of getting my existing cat, cutting it open, gutting the inside and putting a straight pipe through the cat and re welding it together. I know the legalities on this but im not one to care. Any thoughts on that and wether anyones got the same thing running on there car.

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
mate if you are going to do that, just get a pipe welded with flanges on each end, then if you need to put your old cat back in you can just unbolt it and slip in the old one. i'll call them race cats, my motor really freed up when i droped both of mine in conjunction with my extractors

myvq5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman 5ltr
cats

ive got punched out cats much better i say go for it m8 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: no 1 is gonna be the wiser.

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
sweet as, ill have a crack at it soon

myvq5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman 5ltr
cat

hey speed_freak all you need to do is smash out the ceramic cone in side the cat and insert a pipe and weld it in. but make sure the cat isnt warped or you will get leaks use the one on the car already as that should be nice and straight :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
I dunno if ya'll noticed but hes got a 6! You cant punch out those cats for starters and why would you anyway...? What he needs is a Redback 2 1/2 inch Sports system or something similar with extractors...You could chuck in a Hi-flow cat but depends what you have planned for the car in the future...

Cheers, Joe :thumbsup:

myvq5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman 5ltr
vince

i agree vince :thumbsup: didnt know it was a six??

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
it's not vince...is Joe btw...hehe