Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super charger kits for 3.8 v6's

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Does anyone know of anyone that makes supercharger kits for v6's?
I'm probably going to wind up getting a VS (I haven't got it yet, I'm still looking and saving for a nice wagon), and am looking ahead into supercharger kits...
I know of the CRS kit which seems okay, and Yella Terra have a new snout and pulley modification for existing factory supercharged engines, which isn't any good to me.

So, any help will be greatly appreciated :D

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Your probally better off buying the factory supercharged car rather than trying to modify a standard V6 motor as it would probally be the cheaper option and then just make some mods to that.

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
www.capa.com.au

This is from capa.
from a Vs.
VN - VY 3.8L Commodore
Powerdyne / Vortech Supercharger
kits_holden01.jpg

From 147kW to 240+
dyno_capavnv6.gif

Price (Aus.) Water Inj Stage Boost kW
Powerdyne option 1 7 215ex $ 5,093.00
Powerdyne Inc. 2 9 225ex $ 5,354.00
Vortech, V-2 Quiet Inc. 3 6 - 20 240+ex $ 7,476.0

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Thanks guys. Yeah I'd like a factory supercharged car, but I'm not sure if there's many wagons already supercharged, and if there are I doubt they're in my price range (up to 10k, maybe 15 if it's something really really good).
I forgot about CAPA, the CRS kit is only $1800 and produces a 30% power increase apparently. And it looks pretty stock too (as does the CAPA one).

TheLucksta

Reaction score
CRS kits dont have much potential going for them boost wise. 5-6psi with a pulley upgrade. The 1ggze (CRS) is a bit undersized for a 3.8L engine, and you have to spin them much faster than normal to get them to make any boost. I think if it's spun at twice the normal speed then the teflon rips of the rotors, which i can imagine would cause quite a drama!!!
Powerdyne is limited to only 9psi, which is probably as much as you want for a stock ecotech anyway. Unlike the vortech blower, it doesn't require oil cooling because of the ceramic bearings.
To be honest, i think it will get a bit nasty when cranking boost into an ecotech, and some people have found this out the hard way! :(
But it i were you, i wouldn't bother with centrifuge blowers. I would go straight to the turbo setup!!! ;)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
The CRS kit is actually a Toyota SC14 blower, designed for a 2L four cylinder engine. While the extra power would be there, I think overall the blower is a tad small for a 3.8

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
G'day. I'm running the CRS kit on a Series 1 VN 3.8 and it seems o.k., but does have a couple of issues. Produces a fair bit of low down poke when it hits its straps, not a hell of a lot mid range, but winds out nicely and steadily pulls its way to over 190 (as fast as I've had it), and would agree with the claimed 30% overall increase in power.

I bought the car with C.O.M.E. Streemaster cam, chipped, CAI and CRS kit fitted. Only other minor mods I have done are tranny cooler and enhanced intake cup (Whoopee!). I reckon the chip needs remapping to suit the blower tho, as it tends to mess up the gear changes in the auto when it's on and under load. Maybe remapping and a shift kit too. Only runs Premium, pings bad on straight unleaded, but to be expected with forced induction (also looking at the possibility of a dual layer memcal). Extra boost is available via a fixed pulley, also available through CRS, but you will have to forgo the clutch assembly which is a nice-to-have. It is a very neat fit and doesn't look at all like an added extra, would almost think it's a factory fit if you didn't know better.

All in all, it's o.k. but be prepared to make some extra changes if you go with this kit. CRS do say that remapping etc will be required if changing cams and/or induction etc. The kit really is designed for a stock motor in reasonable condition. I reckon it's enough for just getting around the streets, but if you want more it will cost serious $$$'s.

I've had no experience with any other kits, but thought I'd share that anyway....

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Thanks sharpeidog, that's kind of the info I was hoping to get about the CRS kit.
When I do eventually get my wagon I'm going to get all the usual upgrades (extractors etc), then go with the supercharger and then get the computer remapping. I'm not going to drag it or anything, I'd just like some decent street performance while still being reasonably good on fuel.
A couple of people have mentioned getting a turbo, but it seems that every man and his dog have got one already, I just wanted something that'd get some more power out of a stock engine and not go the mainstream turbo route.
I might end up going that way though, nothing is set in stone yet.

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
If I take it easy, I get around 420-430 out of a tank, and surprisingly it only drops to around 400 if I go a little silly (you know, on full moons, when you run out of Prozac etc....). Depending on what you are used to, you can decide if thats good or bad, remembering that at todays PULP prices thats $70+ at the bowser. So if you tend to clock up some k's, you may not call that cheap motoring.

I also run the car with the O2 sensor unplugged, which has nothing to do with the blower. I just tend to find it surges at low speed with or without the blower on if the sensor is plugged in. Still get the 420-430 though. I'm still sussing that one out....

Thought I would attach a pic.... (Hope I did it right!!! :eek: )

Attachments

• 2004_0613Image0010.jpg
    2004_0613Image0010.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4,013

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
sharpeidog said:
I also run the car with the O2 sensor unplugged, which has nothing to do with the blower

That's got a lot to do with the blower :p V6's run dangerously lean with CRS kits, the only way to limit detonation and fool the ECU into dumping more fuel in is by disconnecting the 02. A less dodgy way of doing the same thing would be placing a resistor on the coolant temp sensor, this will fool the ecu into richening mixtures also. But not recommended.

At the very least these kits require remapping, a decent fuel pump of the bosch variety and a fuel pressure reg mod (or stand alone rising rate reg) to be set up properly.

For mapping to be truely effective it really should be done in 'real time', something you can't do with a eprom. Kalmaker software and ECU's allow you to tune the Delco in real time, the latest software also intergrates with dyno dynamics. This system retaind all factory sensors as do the Haltechs.

I know you didn't set this one up Sharpei, so I'm not having a go at you mate. I'm just tired of companies marketing **** like this as a bolt on modification, it might sound easy here, or on ebay but not in the real world. Vehicle manufacturers spend millions on engine research and development, if the motor was designed for a straight bolt on blower it would have came factory with one.

End rant