Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

""need help"" own a stocko 3800 vp and wanting to really give it some horsepower

boourns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
hi, i have recently bought a vp commodore and i am wanting to "over a period of time" work the engine to get some serious horsepower without a supercharger or turbo kit "at the moment". i know that the throttle body has been worked, it has lukey extractors, 2 and a half inch ehaust and a pod filter has been installed but that is about it, the engine has done over 300,000 ks but still skids off the mark, and not sure if it has had many services either. where should i start?

Last edited:

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
you could have it tuned
stroked (later on while doing this you could polish the ports and balance the engine)
you can put high lift roller rockers

just remember you get out what you put in

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
HP=$$$$ so it really depends on what oyu wanna spend. start with the holden VS super6 CAI with a good air filter. some headers with 2.5" cat back exhaust. a full service including plugs leads oil/fuel/air filters, new oil. service the trans and have a stage 2 shift kit fitted with corvette servo(assuming it's an auto) also do the diff oil as most poeple over look this(you could also fit a higher diff ratio and LSD). clean the TB and IAC also. then talk to Dr Bob about a tune to suit. if you wanna spend more then look at high ratio rockers/port & polish the heads/cam and if you still want more then look at either stroking it (COME) or forced induction (check the raptor superchargers forum in the sponsered section)

boourns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
thanks for the replys everyone, well ive got a full fuel injector service booked for thursday.. i guess thats a start, then once the engine has been serviced i will move on to cold air, where can i find a good one? ive been lookin up that ss big mouth 1.. is that any good?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thanks for the replys everyone, well ive got a full fuel injector service booked for thursday.. i guess thats a start, then once the engine has been serviced i will move on to cold air, where can i find a good one? ive been lookin up that ss big mouth 1.. is that any good?

go with the Holden super6 CAI about $50 from your local holden dealer. you need the top 2 pieces, don't bother with the base ofthe air box, you can mod yours to suit. have a look in the "howto" to see how it's done etc

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
lol N/A power in a v6... got $$$$$???????? and i mean ALOT

if you want N/A power get a 8, if you want a powerful 6 get FI affordable options

you'd need a full rebuild with 300,000k's means kiss your car good by for 3 months atleast unless u build a engine outta the car which is what id do, (build a VR engine) and id raise the compression for N/A use, u'd wanna make sure the a/f ratio is right on and you run good fuel.... if u want N/A you'll HAVE to build a new engine for it mate or look into the ecotech

boourns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
oh ok, how much would it cost to rip the motor i have in it now out and put a new vr one in "including the new engine cost"?

boourns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
a 6, but like the other guy was saying, my car has done 300 000 KS well over that anyway, i just wana rebuild it to get back lost horsepower then start tuning it up