Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blower / turbo

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
i know this sounds a bit over-selouse however i am going to go absolutely stupid on a VS 6 and have seen lots of Turboed / blown ecotechs around but i like to be a it over the top and different. Im wondering if it is possible to combine a Harrop top mounted Blower with a twin turbo system, i have been looking into this for quite some time however i havent been able to get feedback apart from people laughing at the idea, i mean i bet people laughed at the idea of putting a turbo on an ls1...

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Well first off there is no off the shelf twin turbo, or harrop supercharger systems available for the ecotec. Secondly it has been done before (supercharger and turbo) but was reverted back to turbo as it was too hard to tune, but it is do-able. Youll need a custom manifold for that supercharger (unless you use the L67 manifold and blower) and custom twin turbo manifolds, not to mention fitting it all in! and an endless supply of money, dont leave an engine rebuild off the shopping list either.

In my opinion just stick to one or the other.

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
money is not the issue, i thought that custom would be the way to go but one can never be to sure. maybe a twin turbo system with instant boost, however all those sort of systems that i have seen run small turbos (hence instat boost). and i am aiming for the 350 - 400kw mark. and yes i know everyone keeps telling me to get an ls1, but thats not the point. all pushrods can make bugger all revvs, however i have seen quite a few v6s getting into the 12 grand mark. if there was a way to quad cam an ls1 i would do it but untill then a ridiculis amount of induction to a high revving 6 might be the way to go....i just HATE turbo lag instant power is the WAY.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
money is not the issue, i thought that custom would be the way to go but one can never be to sure. maybe a twin turbo system with instant boost, however all those sort of systems that i have seen run small turbos (hence instat boost). and i am aiming for the 350 - 400kw mark. and yes i know everyone keeps telling me to get an ls1, but thats not the point. all pushrods can make bugger all revvs, however i have seen quite a few v6s getting into the 12 grand mark. if there was a way to quad cam an ls1 i would do it but untill then a ridiculis amount of induction to a high revving 6 might be the way to go....i just HATE turbo lag instant power is the WAY.

Firstly you wouldnt run twin turbos with a charger.. You would get a big single. PD blowers are not good at making power at high revs, better at down low torque, so you would avoid all the lag from the big turbo which would spool up in the mid-high rev range when the blower runs out of puff.

Also you would never get a Ecotec to rev to 12g, or any v6 for that matter, Unless im proven otherwise.

SSbeast

Reaction score
Another thing to check is if the block is strong enough to handle that kinda power. I've heard that the GM American domestic block is thicker walled than the GMH ones.

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
so a positive displacement blower would be the way to go hey, cool. yer ive seen the odd straight six get pretty high in the rev range and have heard of v6s doing it, yet to see it though. so i would imagine the american GM blocks (L26??) are a bit hard to get hold of??

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
No offence but if you have an endless supply of money why would you just do up an ecotec in a VS?

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
lol endless supply of money??? umm I WISH!!! i love the VS, like ecotechs and LOVE POWER (dont we all). However the car will be my daily driver, so the advice given to me was to fit a blower with a clutch so i can just switch it off for the majority of the time as to save on petrol while i get the funds together to bolt a turbo on in the near future.:yeah:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
lol endless supply of money??? umm I WISH!!! i love the VS, like ecotechs and LOVE POWER (dont we all). However the car will be my daily driver, so the advice given to me was to fit a blower with a clutch so i can just switch it off for the majority of the time as to save on petrol while i get the funds together to bolt a turbo on in the near future.:yeah:

The only blower with a clutch that I'm aware of is the SC14 and compared to the options available for $5k they are ****, but they are cheap. If you're concerned about the cost of fuel, then don't spend any money on performance. The faster you go the more fuel you use. There is no way I would bolt on an SC14 and a turbo, it's a stupid idea.

Last edited:

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
The only blower with a clutch that I'm aware of is the SC14 and compared to the options available for $5k they are ****, but they are cheap. If you're concerned about the cost of fuel, then don't spend any money on performance. The faster you go the more fuel you use. There is way I would bolt on an SC14 and a turbo, it's a stupid idea.

yes i know power = less fuel economy, i am not a complete idiot. Thing is i work in realestate which involves a fair bit of driving. But if there are no decent blowers around with a clutch then I WONT GET ONE! ill put up with less economy, gladly!! geeze where is the love ppl, just want to do something a bit different.