Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 exhaust upgrades?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Just wondering...

On my mildly modded VS V6 5 speed i have an exhaust in which im unsure if it may be restricting performance? It has extractors, twin cats, twin 2 inch into single 3 inch, 1 dogleg muffler and straight out the back.

Engine mods are: Light head porting, YT 1.8 rockers, new lifters, new pushrods, new valve springs, ported intake manifold and TB, K&N and custom CAI.

I had a regrind cam in there, but was unhappy with the results. I plan on installing another custom cam for a bit more lift, and maybe shaving the heads? Don't want to got to town on it, but would just like some more grunt. My tuner does a good job extracting a very consistent power output, on several different dynos ranging from 129- 134rwkw, even making 140 about a year back (i think she was just a happy dyno!!)

The car feels very punchy and quite comfortable anywhere in the rev range and alot of 5L's with exhausts are a pushover :p But anyway...back to my point!! would i be better off upgrading to twin 2-1/4 or twin 2-1/2? would i make more power just from this step up, or would i possibly go backward?

How much power will my current twin 2 inch, twin cat setup accept before it is a restriction?

p.s my dream is to make 150 at the wheels n/a without touching the bottom end. Do you guys reckon this is possible? I know its not a huge goal, but its what i want to achieve before i move on to a new car.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i really cant see any point changing your current exhaust, theres no way it would be restrictive in any n/a application, or even forced induction either really....
as it is alot of people will say that a twin cat system is overkill on a V6 anyway.

as for reaching 150rwkw, thats definately feasible, especially being a manual. id say to put the biggest cam that your comfortable with in it and raise that compression up to something like 10:1, with the right combo of cam, heads and good tuning you'll get 150rwkw for sure.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
sircruisealotVS..

Would you have any idea if changing mufflers from dogleg to centre expansion would make my note any better? lol

and yes, cam and compression are what i plan to do soon :thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, dunno mate, it depends what type of exhaust note you like i spose, lol.
i know that the lukey glass pack mufflers sound pretty good, they have that real nice bark to them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Changing to a centre expansion glass pack will make it a bit deeper. If you want it to have a bit more grunt off the line, change the single portion to 2 3/4" if you can find someone that can bend it. Won't be cheap though. Even dropping it back to 2 1/2" won't hurt it, just shorten the torque curve so it kicks in a bit earlier and peaks earlier.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
what extractors do you guys reccomend. other than pacemaker, i am just curious what is around for v6s.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
hmm, dunno mate, it depends what type of exhaust note you like i spose, lol.
i know that the lukey glass pack mufflers sound pretty good, they have that real nice bark to them.

lukey systems for v6's are loud as hell and drone like nothing you ahve heard before.... but do have good power gains

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There are a lot of brands that do the job on a stock engine. Wildcat, Genie, HM, Lukey, Boss. About the cheapest are the Wildcats, $330, then up to around $500 for Pacemaker.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lukey systems for v6's are loud as hell and drone like nothing you ahve heard before.... but do have good power gains

i had their glass pack muffler in my old buick 6 and it didnt drone at all, infact it sounded sweet, alot of dumbasses used to ask me all the time if it was an 8.
i will admitt though that on my ecotec it drones slightly just around 60k's, but thats more do to with having no resi.

as i said, depends what sort of note you like, and i like the note that the glass pack muffler gives.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Exhausted

On my mildly modded VS V6 5 speed i have an exhaust in which im unsure if it may be restricting performance? It has extractors, twin cats, twin 2 inch into single 3 inch, 1 dogleg muffler and straight out the back.

Engine mods are: Light head porting, YT 1.8 rockers, new lifters, new pushrods, new valve springs, ported intake manifold and TB, K&N and custom CAI.

I had a regrind cam in there, but was unhappy with the results. I plan on installing another custom cam for a bit more lift, and maybe shaving the heads? Don't want to got to town on it, but would just like some more grunt. My tuner does a good job extracting a very consistent power output, on several different dynos ranging from 129- 134rwkw, even making 140 about a year back (i think she was just a happy dyno!!)

In my opinion your exhaust is perfect, 134 rwkw is about it from what I found as well, I would suggest you could only go backwards from where you currently are. Change maybe the cam for a better thing and go forward from there but do not change that exhaust, its near to perfect.