Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

questions on l67 conversion and more

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Hi I know this first question has been answered before but please bear with me and help me out please. I have a vy exec with an na motor and want to do the l67 conversion. Number one besides the motor exactly what else do I need? Even as little as hose clamps or what ever everything. What places in victoria preferably geelong would be good to do the conversion? What cost would I expect for a. The labour for the person to do the swap and b. All parts and components? What problems have people ran into doing this conversion? I know you will say why not by a new car I can't because its on a secure loan and I already have an extensive sound system and other mods to change the car over. Last question where would be the best place to get the motor people saw wreckers I don't know if I like the idea of a 2nd hand motor what do I look out for when picking a motor from a wreckers? Or should I buy a crate motor and if so where can I get one from I have sent emails to a few sites with no reply. Ok so that was more then 1 last question sorry. If this gets good answers I think it should be made a sticky forum in the faq section cause I'm sure a few people want the answers to this. Thanks for the help in advance
Beau

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Roughly you'll need about $5000 for a 2nd hand engine for the conversion + $500-$1000 to get it fitted. I don't know if there's any new engines still floating around anymore.

Grab your Yellow Pages and try ringing around a few of the bigger Holden wreckers in your area... they'll most likely perform conversions with everything you'll need... it will probably work out cheaper as you can use your old engine as a trade in.

Going for a new engine, computer etc + labour will likely get up around 10 G...

Other parts needed are a new exhaust system to handle the increased air flow through the engine... and a L67 torque convertor for the trans.

Thats about it... if I missed anything I'm sure someone else can fill you in.

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Thanks a heap mate has anyone delt with eagle parts before I think they have crate l67's what kind of prices should engines cost from a wreckers??? And what should I keep an eye of for with them? Should I get it rebuilt before I put it in and if so what kind of kit or who do u recomend to do the rebuild? Thanks again for any help

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
have a look on ebay if you havent already

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey mate,

Why go for a L67 conversion??

Have you looked at the Vortech Aftermarket supercharger kits??

CAPA : Supercharger Kits

I mean, you can get a brand new superchager (V-2 Quiet) for $4000. Add an intercooler, bigger injectors, stage 2 shift kit and custom ECU... could probably get it all installed, fitted and ready to go for under $5500... Which is about the same price as a L67 consversion. Plus your looking at 240kw+ compared to ~175kw....

Honestly, i would stick with your current engine and add a supercharger/FMIC or go a Gen3/LS1/LS2 conversion.

The L67 are ok stock engines, but for performance they are pretty slow/expensive.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
The L67 are ok stock engines, but for performance they are pretty slow/expensive.

Check out some of the cars on :: Index

L67 engines are nothing to rave about when stock, but once you put a few good bits on them they definitely aren't slow...

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Check out some of the cars on :: Index

L67 engines are nothing to rave about when stock, but once you put a few good bits on them they definitely aren't slow...

Yeah without doubt, but that'll start costing more. So if your looking at a L67 conversion, then upgrade its gonna get to $10k pretty quickly... At that point a Gen3 conversion is a better idea.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah without doubt, but that'll start costing more. So if your looking at a L67 conversion, then upgrade its gonna get to $10k pretty quickly... At that point a Gen3 conversion is a better idea.

I reckon when you're looking upwards of 5K for an engine conversion, looking for a factory spec car and trading in is the way to go.

What are VY's worth ? 15K ? plus an extra 10K should get something decent !:thumbsup:

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
Everyone tells me n/a motors are not strong enough to run high enough boost for it to be worth it I have already spent 10k on my car so I don't want to change to another one and aparently changing everything over to a v8 costs even more then l67 does. I'm not sure if I'd go a v8 I'm off my p plates as of today so that was more why I was staying a v6 what do u need to do to convert to a v8 and what cost and power can u expect from it?