Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec for turbo?

boourns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Hi, the title pretty much explains itself, im getting a vy or vz in a few weeks, and i eventually want to throw a turbo on it, i just wanted to know, i know both engines arnt really designed for a turbo, but which engine would i lean towards, without modding anything internal? any feedback would be excellent

cheerz.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I'd go the alloytec

If your pretty keen on throwing a turbo on it, be one of a handful thats done it to the alloytec.

Also, get with the times lol althought the eco has been proven over 10 years, at the end of the day, its still 10 years old...

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
also to that... isnt the alloyec OHC? (ECOTEC is pushrod) from what ive seen, especially with JAP engines... OHC engines have a LOT of potential with tuning, etc....

i could be wrong, but yeah?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
And aparently the alloytec has a strong bottom end, stronger than the ecotec

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
also to that... isnt the alloyec OHC? (ECOTEC is pushrod) from what ive seen, especially with JAP engines... OHC engines have a LOT of potential with tuning, etc....

i could be wrong, but yeah?

yes they are an OHC engine, plenty of potential there. :dance:

doooo eeeet

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
at this stage id be saying ecotec - simply because of the availability of parts for it and its much much easier to tune for boost. ive heard many nightmare stories of people having dramas tuning the alloytec for boost - its all still pretty new ground.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Alloytec VCT doesn't even start to compare to Hondas' VTEC or even Toyotas' VVTI. They have 2 different cam profiles ground into the cams and physically switch to the more aggressive lobes when the altered timing function is activated. Alloytec VCT is a hydraulically controlled clutch within the cam gear that momentarily either retards or advances the cam timing to slightly adjust to suit conditions for that moment. It is betterthan nothing but no VTEC lol.

For the OP, Alloytec is the way to go IMO but dollars are the decider. An Alloytec is going to be more expensive to buy (newer car) and more $$$ to get a turbo on and tune etc. Ecotec has full aftermarket support and will be cheaper to get into by far. Proflow got high 11s on an ecotec! That's not to be ignored. Have you thought about the CAPA cent charger kit for the Alloytec, it's a bolt on package.