Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Line locker setup + ABS ??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there was an article in street machine about fiting line lockers on late model commodores. apparently the ABS light will come on when it is used (fault code, much like the engine check light) but it resets when you switch the car off and restart again apparently.

they aren't legal on street driven cars..........

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
yes its safe get someone pro to do the plumbing youll be fine

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I know they're not legal on street cars, but who's going to know what they look like? :) not like I'm going to put a massive label on the switch in the middle of the dash :p

Expensive to set up??

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
about 250 to get one installed with proper metal lines
wire in ya own swich and away ya go
if you plan to do lots skids its a good investment and saves ya brakes
so many times i see discs glowing red after a good burnout

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Without thinking too hard about it just yet, and maybe it's not something that savage1987 wants to get into, but surely it would be possible to use the ABS system itself to create the line lock.

Each wheel brake is able to be disconnected during normal ABS operation, so it would also be possible to do that with some electrickery. Could be a line lock for only a few dollars and it would almost certainly be undetectable.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I know they're not legal on street cars, but who's going to know what they look like? :) not like I'm going to put a massive label on the switch in the middle of the dash :p

Expensive to set up??

i only put it there for disclaimer purposes:p i ahve a line locker sitting in the garage as we speak:D it's not that the switch is obvious but the actual line locker solenoid assembly would be if the car was ever inspected (they are suppose to be installed by the master cylinder). in that way, you guys are very lucky in aussie because you only have the car inspected when you sell it. here in NZ i have to pass a WOF inspection every 6 months. i'm hoping that some more heat shielding around the drivers side exhaust manifold should hide it when it's installed:whistling

Without thinking too hard about it just yet, and maybe it's not something that savage1987 wants to get into, but surely it would be possible to use the ABS system itself to create the line lock.

Each wheel brake is able to be disconnected during normal ABS operation, so it would also be possible to do that with some electrickery. Could be a line lock for only a few dollars and it would almost certainly be undetectable.

it may be possible, however i certainly wouldn't want to dick with the ABS unit and it's associated wiring. it's something that could cause total brake failure if it goes wrong. atleast with the line locker fitted into the rear brake line, should it fail and lockout the rear brakes the front brakes will still work

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
it may be possible, however i certainly wouldn't want to dick with the ABS unit and it's associated wiring. it's something that could cause total brake failure if it goes wrong. atleast with the line locker fitted into the rear brake line, should it fail and lockout the rear brakes the front brakes will still work

Yes, there may be safety issues (and the scrutineers at the track may not like it because of that). I still think that it is worth considering for a dual purpose road/track car.

(Temporarily) disconnecting the harness connector at the ABS control module, meaning the solenoids aren't energised, results in the system behaving exactly as does a non-ABS system.

The appropriate solenoids (I think that the VR system is 4 channel, hence the plural) could then be energised using an external controller. Another harness connector cut from a wreck could be used to make the electrical connections.

It would be necessary to figure out which of the solenoids are those for the rear brakes. Doing that is trivial with access to a wiring diagram.

I am not sure what the signals to the solenoids look like. It may be that the ABS solenoid valve 'hold' function (which would isolate the brake caliper associated with it from the master cylinder) is achieved using a signal with a duty cycle. That would have to be measured and matched if that is the case.

Alternatively, the ABS 'dump' function might be used, which is more likey to be either 'on' or 'off', simplifying the control. That would also require the ABS pump motor to be powered though.

Wiring the set up in series with a front wheel speed sensor based frequency switch would allow it to be automatically turned off at anything greater than the slow roll required during the burnout. That is arguably safer than the conventional line lock in that respect (unless a similar switch is used for that too).

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Forget all that. My International has ABS (weren't you just asking about this today, or am i half asleep again?). Never seen a fault code. Mine is plumbed pretty much in line with the middle pillar (under the car obviously), before the lines split for each side. And you can't see it unless your looking for it.

So in conclusion, Line locker with ABS = Fine and no warning light on the dash ;)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Thanks mate, and yes we were talking about it today :)

Line locker setup looks like a winner. Especially since Stealthy brought up the fact it can be removed and put into my next car.

Cheers guys, and cheap6 that'd be a fun thing to play around with if you have half a brain with electrics. I unfortunately don't :)

Sam