Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S/C or turbo?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
How does the fuel economy compare between a FACTORY supercharged Ecotec 6 and an Ecotec 6 turbo??

Weighing up the options: my family is looking to buy a new car for the family business and an 8 is a little expensive at a reported 16L or so per 100km (we do a lot of long distance driving) but we need something stronger than a N/A six for towing.
Wondering whether to go for a factory s/c v6 (not really interested in going for a bolt-on - mechanic would kill me) or have a turbo installed (about 2grand from Forced Induction Technologies I think).

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
I think you'll find that a turbo setup will cost you a lot more than 2 grand, I've not seen any done for less than 4 times that figure, but if you can get them done for that price I've got my hand up.

For towing the super six would be your best bet as they have a good lump of low down torque, the holden N/A V6's just don't cut it. The only one better for towing is the holden V8 though, and if you do a lot of towing then the V8 would be no worse of fuel wise than the super six.

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
From reading about the turbo setup on FIT's test mule, they recommend that you prepare yourself for alot of things that could go wrong, they also say that a turbo setup will cost you around $8k give or take...

Cheers

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
A v8 on a long trip or towing we give you the same if not better fuel economy as it doesent have to work as hard if you go a 6speed man they sit on1400 rpm at 100kph mine recenty returned an average of 9L per 100ks on a long trip .

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
:b: was looking at the manifold, not the whole turbo setup!!

yeh sorry about that, more like 2.5gees for the manifold kit anyway

um 9L/100km is pretty damn impressive for an 8
but i'm personally growing into a pretty big fan of the super6

would it be ok for the engine to run a boost of 10psi (instead of factory 8) all the time? because i've seen some pretty impressive power figures from engines running 10psi (otherwise stock)

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I think 10 psi would be more than safe as the factory 8psi would be very conserative (go the big 5.7) best thing i ever did.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
looking at FIT site, they say 14psi is a bit on the high side for road use

why?

are there any long-term engine problems that could be caused by running that much boost?? (i'm fairly new to the forced induction scene, bear with me)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Savage the reason 14 psi is too high is because, it would be testing the limits of the stock Buick V6 plus you would be running 12 second quater miles and have a torque curve that looks like a ski jump that starts at 2500 rpm = massive sideways on the street in the dry = very bad when it's raining !: ) it would be just about undrivable in the rain at anything over putting around revs, 8 pounds will be plenty fast enough and more or less safe for a good stock engine (that's all talking about a turbo)

Toa, if you install the whole turbo setup yourself it's impossible to cost more than 2 grand, with a good used or new chinese turbo!: )

Last edited:

VYFORI

VEFORME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan
These are some of the things that you will need...

Ad above you will be looking at around $11,000 all up with labour.

FIT Forced Induction technology

* FIT intercooler and plumbing.
* FIT Turbo manifold

Rigoli Racing

* Garrett GT30
* External Wastegate turbosmart 45mm
* 42.5lb Injectors
* T-REX fuel pump
* Vortec Rising rate fuel pressure regulator
* Kalmaker Engine management system
* Connection to Dump pipe
* Boost controller manual