Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad clutch shudder

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
hey just wondering what could be causing this bad clutch shudder i have been getting when i take off.... i had the clutch replaced with a exceedy heavy duty (one of those poofy purple ones lol) and the fly wheel machined and all that jazz and the engine mounts r fine and gearbox mounts r fine and the center bearing is also fine....... its very annoying when u take off it shudders so bad the whole dash shakes carrys on.. is it just a **** clutch or do i have bigger problems then this?

FusionX

Reaction score
How long have you had this issue? and does it do it every take off?

I have had an issue similar with an Excedy heavy duty although swear my pressure plate was pink not purple (although I used a new flywheel). About every 2nd take off it would shudder. A week later abused the hell out it around a skidpan and never had another issue since (Although broken several gearbox through the abuse instead... T5's don't like abuse). So guess mine was just bedding in.

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
well pretty much after the first 1000ks after the new clutch its been doing it and getting worse and worse. but then sum days it can be fine ?? yeah i have tried my best not 2 give it a hard time but even if i do it makes no difference.. oh and yeah mine is pink 2 lol thought it was purple lol mine is shuddering so bad it has rattled the bolts out of the bell housing !

FusionX

Reaction score
That sounds a lot worse then mine was... guessing something major has gone wrong with it being that bad.

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
yeah i have no idea the olny other thing i can think of is maybe the rear main is leaking again and there is sum oil on the clutch plate ? but yeah its really annoying and embarrasing at times because when u go to take off from the lights the wohle car shudders and loos and sounds ridiclous! :(

FusionX

Reaction score
Couldn't see it being the rear main causing it, only reason I say that as for about 6 month I was running a motor that had no rear main seal in it and didn't have an issue, except for the large oil leak (long story cut short... some engine builders really have no idea)

Denso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss commodore
i have the same problem with the bad shuddering in my vp ss. but the bearing in the tailshaft needs replacing nd the right side IRS axel has way to much play, like about and inch and a half! so im going to tend to these two problems first before i start with the clutch, and see what heppens.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
My new HD clutch did that for quite a while. I think cause they grab so much(ie, they dont slip much on the flywheel when taking off) it maybe takes a good while to season the flywheel in again. I seriously thought somthing was wrong but it did get better over the month and now it dosnt do it at all.

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
My new HD clutch did that for quite a while. I think cause they grab so much(ie, they dont slip much on the flywheel when taking off) it maybe takes a good while to season the flywheel in again. I seriously thought somthing was wrong but it did get better over the month and now it dosnt do it at all.

wellllllll my clutch has been making sum horrible noises lately so i took it back to the mechanic that fitted it today and he tried to tell me that the metal on metal squeaking sound was the clutch fingers rubbing on the flywheel.............. :confused: lol i dont know how he come up with that theory as the fingers can not possibly get anywhere near the flywheel unless the clutch plates wore right through to nothing and there was nothing left.. so now what excedy have told me is that the fork should have 2 little rubber bits that go on it and they nearly guarantee that they didnt put them back on when they installed the clutch and that is making the chattering clicking and squeaking sound. soooo now i have to have the gearbox removed again and get that fixed up :bang: not happy about it and if the dude that installed it thinks im paying to fix this he has rocks in his head.. god dam it ! is there any good mechanics in SE queensland!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
those fork rubbers dont need to be removed unless theyre getting replaced. theyre only tiny little things that cant cause much harm besides a fork rattle on the bell housing when they wear.

either way the box will have to removed and the clutch inspected because theres something majorly wrong. Ive had no trouble what so ever since installing my Exedy H/D clutch. all I can think of is the flywheel needs a serious machine, the pressure plate isnt sitting square against the flywheel or some of the friction material has broken off the clutch plate (which would explain metal-on-metal squeaking).