Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VL... should i bother?

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
hey guys... my old man just got a 304 Berlina wagon...

i ****ing love it.. and am thinking of buying it off him...

it's a carby fed black motor..

the car needs a new tailgate...

im just wondering if i should bother with it?.. i want to rebuild a car, and definately want it to be a V8, i dont want major HP but i want it to have some down low grunt..

i'd respray the body, get the motor rebuilt, and carby rebuilt, and all new bushes and suspension

just make it a real clean stocker really..

it would mainly be a cruising car.. anyway... yes or no?.. pro's and con's?

BTW i'll get it cheap too

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Cons, use alot of fuel, but I'd get it on lpg and that solves that

Pros, sounds good, easy to make much faster without really doing anything to it :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Cons, use alot of fuel, but I'd get it on lpg and that solves that

Pros, sounds good, easy to make much faster without really doing anything to it :)

100 percent agreed, however i need to reiterate YOU WILL USE FUEL. lol, a lot.

just do it. carb'd 5lts sound cool as f... every time you drive next to a barrier, alley way or big truck and hear your engine note you get a big grin. 1 year on for me, the grin is still there. :D

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
haha yeah it does sound pretty sweet... i have a VX berlina wagon that i have for my daily..

but probably use the 5L for a cruiser etc..
how much power do they lose with the gas conversion?

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
haha yeah it does sound pretty sweet... i have a VX berlina wagon that i have for my daily..

but probably use the 5L for a cruiser etc..
how much power do they lose with the gas conversion?

if you tune it to gas you will gain but i will say if your using gas use oil drippers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if you tune it to gas you will gain

not a chance. there is no way you will ever get the same power from gas research. mixers just cant deliver enough juice at 6000rpm to make them a contender.

my mates ute, mild street cam (496 lift, 118 duration 110 seperation) tuned twin system, quaddy, stock comp, bigger vlaves and springs, stally, thermos, etc made 90RWKW on gas. there is a guy on here somewhere with the same build as mine (pretty much) on gas research and he got 120-ish RWKW mine is 145.

unless you are going to go silly comp ration i.e. higher than pump gas can go 14:1 or so, and runnig a dual mixer system then you will get good power, but you will use a lot of gas anyway so it'd be the same running costs.

i would estimate my mates ute would prolly make the 110 mark (what my car made with the same cam/pistons et) if he had it tuned for petrol, so a loss of 20RWKW for gas. so the vacinity of 25 percent. 10-15 if gas research.

discuss: