Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 to V8 conversion

V

VN_Calais_5speed

Hey,
i just brought a VN Calais (factory) 5 speed V6,
i want my first mod to be a engine swap to a V8!
what will i need to make the change over? is there anyone in adelaide who is known for doing this conversion? :thumbsup:

Vaughn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport / V8 M5
just sell your car and buy an original V8 it will cost alot of money especially if u have to pay someone to do it

V

VN_Calais_5speed

Good luck finding a VN Calais 5 speed V8 for the price it will cost to convert mine...

H

HSV_Fever

I also agree it would be far better having bought a V8, the amount of money, time and headache it will be to convert one just out ways the benefit, I know I have been there and done that. If you really are after a VN Calias 5 speed V8 they are about, you just have to look hard.

V

VN_Calais_5speed

i still wanna convert thou.carnt be to hard can it

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It isnt as hard as everyone makes out! You are much better off buying a whole car if you want to do it as you can pick up a smashed VN V8 executive pretty cheap and just transfer everything over into your calais. The only problem is trying to find a V8 manual VN as they are getting harder to come by. You have to buy a V8 manual as the V8 and V6 gearboxes are different. It is not a hard conversion to do once you have all the parts in front of you because everything is a bolt in job! I converted my calais from V6 to V8 and had no problems at all it was done in 2 days (although i did use a hoist), i decided that i got my car pretty cheap and was in really good nick so i bought everything out of a V8 Vn a guy was wrecking and did the swap! If you dont buy a complete car here is a rough list of what you will need.

:Engine & gearbox complete with loom & computer
:K frame & steering rack
:Exhaust manifolds & exhaust
:Tailshaft
:Fuel tank & pumps
:Radiator & hoses
:Air conditioning condensor
:Air box & ducting
:Brake set up including master & booster (you can stay with the V6 stuff if you want to)
You can stay with your existing diff as they are the same.
You will have to either get your tacho caliberated or buy a V8 cluster as they run a different tacho.
I am sure there are a few more little bits i have missed but that is the expensive parts covered!
Hope this helps!

F

flow=go

re v8 conversion

rig perkins auto repairs in mclaren vale re doing conversion 83238062

v84eva

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
does a vp v6 auto gearbox fit to a vp v8

CHEETR

Reaction score