Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS AFM exhaust ??

simoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS Ute
hi just wondering what would be the best exhaust for a ss ute with afm ?
will all pretty much sound droney should i just deactivate it ?
also can holden do this during a service or not i seen one guy on youtube who said holden did it for him but I'm not to sure about that.

thanks for your help

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
So many threads on this topic. Here's the summary of what I've read.

I've found that if you want catback & mufflers changed, you will drone in the cabin unless AFM is disabled. This gives you great V8 exhaust sound, but not much more power.

If you only change extractors and cats (very little change to the exhaust note), and leave stock mufflers, then you can also leave AFM on. More power.

If you do the whole lot, you need to disable AFM. Some people put up with the drone, but I would hate it.

simoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS Ute
yeah i dunno i was thinking maybe just a full exhaust , i wonder how much would cost to disable it and would that void my warranty most likely ?

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
Warranty isn't really effected by AFM disabled or not.
Warranty is more about things like: if you put in new heads and cam, then blow up the engine, Holden won't cover the engine under warranty. Turning AFM off can't blow anything up or cause problems really.

simoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS Ute
cool thanks for your help ill keep doing my research haha

The_Doctor

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series 2 Redline
If you get headers you will need a MAFless tune, cost around $800 and WILL void warranty, AFM deactivated will also void warranty, i know because ive been shopping around and asking questions from performance centres and will have to settle for a 2.5 catback exhaust system using the stock manifold until my warranty runs out.

The_Doctor

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series 2 Redline
Oh, it may drone a little but thats what stereos are for.

doctor who

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv redline
So many threads on this topic. Here's the summary of what I've read.

I've found that if you want catback & mufflers changed, you will drone in the cabin unless AFM is disabled. This gives you great V8 exhaust sound, but not much more power.

If you only change extractors and cats (very little change to the exhaust note), and leave stock mufflers, then you can also leave AFM on. More power.

There is no point in disabling AFM, it wont make any different. I just put a 2.5" XForce catback on my VE2 SSV and cant notice much drone once the system carboned up. When AFM is active (running on 4) there is no difference. It is a little louder in cab so will probably just line the boot floor with soundproofing that i seen on Ebay,it doesnt really need it but i may just give it a try if i have time, but then i have been exposed to the constant screeming of Dynamic Brake Grid Blowers.

If you do the whole lot, you need to disable AFM. Some people put up with the drone, but I would hate it.

There is no point in disabling AFM, it wont make any different. I just put a 2.5" XForce catback on my VE2 SSV and cant notice much drone once the system carboned up. When AFM is active (running on 4) there is no difference. It is a little louder in cab so will probably just line the boot floor with soundproofing that i seen on Ebay,it doesnt really need it but i may just give it a try if i have time, but then i have been exposed to the constant screeming of Dynamic Brake Grid Blowers.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Ever thought of fitting a varex muffler?

And lol at the anti-maffless hero again. Sif you need a tune for exhaust changes on a stock car.