Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 new motor felpro head gasket eatin away by coolent

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
like the title says who knows about this ??? new motor has only ever run for few seconds but the head gaskets are blowin severly, coolent flows out at huge rate few hundred ml in just a 5 or 6 seconds !!! i have never heard of this i can not find anything on the net about it, only one person on here has mentined it to me, mechanics i have spoken to have never heard of it eating out head gaskets they have mentioned to use water for first start but never heard of coolent eating the gasket away only that it will stuff bearing !!!

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
It's a felpro gasket 40 thou think not sure what actual one pavtek built the motor based on gold pro 355

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
where is it leaking? into the cylinders or out..between the block and heads?

and felpro composite you reckon?

has the block been decked and the heads machined?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah, I just read there website, and it doesn't say.
I think we are back to plan "A" - ring PAVTEK on Monday.
Good Luck

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
It part number is felpro fp-fs308efi at 40 thou thick !!! Yeh Calling pavtek first thing but just wondering what the biggest leak anyone has ever seen is ??? Im near possitive it gone need rebuild I put Coolent in sat there for 2 or 3 weeks then changed the oil cus my tuner recommended a mineral oil and there was a good few liters in the oil and to leak a good 200 - 300 ml maybe more in 5-7 seconds of running time and water in radiator for 5 mins is massive leak !!! It's only goin into valley and oil not into cylinders or out side motor

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
is it headgasket then? could be intake manifold gaskets if its going into valley

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
is it headgasket then? could be intake manifold gaskets if its going into valley

Gona talk to pavtek, compression is down to 130 in every cylinder it's only run for a for few seconds ,3 times its definety not the manifold it's getting perfect seal been machines to match motor !!! I'm just wondering how much water can a blown head gasket leak in a few seconds running and radiator full for 5 mins

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Apparently, it's not ideal to put coolant in straight away with new head gaskets as it can weep past them, but it doesn't eat them away as such. Normally you just end up with a slight external leak. Having said that, i've done heaps of head gaskets in the past, always put coolant straight in, never had a problem.

I've been watching your ongoing saga for a while and personally given that you had a company build the engine for you, i wouldn't have touched it unless i'd spoken to the company in question first.

Also, how do you know it's a head gasket? Have you already got the heads off?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Gona talk to pavtek, compression is down to 130 in every cylinder it's only run for a for few seconds ,3 times its definety not the manifold it's getting perfect seal been machines to match motor !!! I'm just wondering how much water can a blown head gasket leak in a few seconds running and radiator full for 5 mins

If every cylinder is the same psi, it can't be a blown gasket between cylinders. For all the cylinders to be low, the gasket would have to be blown between every cylinder.

Isn't this a blown motor? Did Pavtek build it as a blown motor? If so, the compression will be low to suit the blown application.