Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV double-row timing chain vs timing gears

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Can anybody give me a good reason or 2 for replacing my current timing gears with the HSV double-row chain? I've heard the gears aren't such a great idea on a daily driver.. but I don't know too much about them. I bought the car with timing gears freshly installed?

EDIT: "I bought the car with timing gears freshly installed?" - lol "I'm Ron Burgundy???"

cheers
Sam

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
they sound sweet but i've heard timing gears can damage bearings through harmonics, i got them on my HQ 253, but that's a weekend thrasher not a daily driver.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Pretty sure the Group A runs a double row chain, because they used to break at Bathurst in the old Group A days and I'm sure they would have fixed it with the Walky or earlier. I know those two cars were HSV's greatest effort ever and that's not a typical HSV but still :p

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Pretty sure the Group A runs a double row chain, because they used to break at Bathurst in the old Group A days and I'm sure they would have fixed it with the Walky or earlier. I know those two cars were HSV's greatest effort ever and that's not a typical HSV but still :p

I'm pretty sure all 5 litres from VN onward got double row chains. Plenty of reports out there of people pulling down stock 5L's and finding double row chains, including me!

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
My 91 VQ has double row which was fitted recently and the old ones were double too.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mine was double row out of a 1990 model, replaced it with a rollmaster double row set... about to replace it again with the crow cams adjustable double row unit

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
i've heard timing gears can damage bearings through harmonics
I've heard that too, I have a feeling I read it in a thread of yours...
HSV double row chain????? When did the HSV's come out with a double row chain?? When you say timing gears, do you mean straight cut timing gears or just freshly replaced normal timing gears??
Straight cut. The chattery, whiny kind. I got the HSV info from this website: Browser Warning - not sure what that browser warning is all about but the site works fine...
"What kind of mechanical changes came with the injected 5.0-litre V8s?
.....as mentioned, HSVs get a double row timing chain......"

I'm pretty sure all 5 litres from VN onward got double row chains. Plenty of reports out there of people pulling down stock 5L's and finding double row chains, including me!
Maybe HSV enhanced motors?? Just a thought....

mine was double row out of a 1990 model, replaced it with a rollmaster double row set... about to replace it again with the crow cams adjustable double row unit
Why? were the other ones crap? Did they stretch?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
nah cos i wanna advance the cam timing accurately:thumbsup: and easily lol

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

True. Ever since Brock (and many others) died at Bathurst in 1985 (?) thru timing chain failure GM homologated double row chains on all the GPA cars. I'd be suprised if HSV didn't run them in all their engines.

Reaper