Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 going into limp mode

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
the VR is ****ing me off atm. it seems like whenever it gets cold or wet, when i start the car, it goes into limp mode. sometimes it will do it a few minutes after it starts, sometimes right away. i will drive normally for a few minutes, then i think the revs dropped a bit and it goes into limp mode, and goes veeeeeeeeeeeery slow.
it did it to me last night, and after about 20 minutes messing around in the engine bay and letting it warm up a bit, it finally went into normal mode after i disconnected the battery for a little while. it then drove fine, but the engine light would flash on for a second if i took the revs up too high too quickly. it seemed fine later on in the night, but accelerating still felt slow.
tonight when i tried to start it, it immediately went into limp mode. it also took a second with the key turned for the starter motor to start doing something. i would turn the key, wait about 2 seconds and then it tried to start.
i have no idea what it could be. it had a new dizzy, new ignition coil, new leads. any help is appreciated and whoever solves it will get rep points :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I told you 100 times if there's no error code you need to look at the memcal and ecu, just do it !:)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah will check the error code tomorrow when its not ****ing down with rain. ive also developed an exhaust leak at the same time. when i tried to start it tonight, as it was running, as i revved it a bit, a small bang kinda noise came from the passenger side? happened once or twice, but didnt do it again once it started to warm up a bit

i dont get how memcal/ecu could be a problem if it eventuallys runs fine? however, as i drive in limp mode, i get no instantaneous fuel usage reading? i know that wire comes directly from the ECU to the dash

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok its still doing it. code check came back with 55, which is supposed to be
Analogue to Digital Error - Auto Transmission Only

WTF. its manual. how does that work?

fizzoj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ STATESMAN 5.0L
is it factory manual? or did you do a conversion?? you can run a manual trans on a auto computer...... do yourself a favour, unplug your ecu find someone with a auto or manual ecu and try it!!! Only do this if the motor is stock...

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
well im getting tired of this. it was running fine yesterday. started it tonight and straight into limp mode. now im not getting any error codes. when i bridge the diagnostic plug, i just get a constant error light with fans on. its not the ECU or memcal. i tried a different memcal, same thing. different ecu, same thing. it still does the delayed starter motor thing at times. im thinking a faulty wire near the ECU, but no idea where to start or how to check

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok still trying to work it out. i turn ignition on, engine light is on, abs module in engine bay makes about 5 quick clicking noises, like a relay, then lights dim and fans turn on. my brakes have felt weird lately. is it possible a broken abs module could cause limp mode?

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
im thinking a possible issue with the neutral start switch .. just a idea... if its sensing something amiss and with dirty contacts or a bad wire....

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
my ute also puts the fans on for diagnostic mode, dunno if thats normal