Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear drum to disk converson

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
hey guyz
i was looking at my dads awsome disks on the back of his ute was thinking i want rear disks
anyways because mines got the famous drum brakes i was wondering if they can be changed to disk? since they have the brake line running to the back

MAHOOVKV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais EFI 6 now vp 5.0l and t700
What sort of car and what diff. most models come out with disc rear, parts should be available from wreckers.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yes. Just get a whole rear end out of a disk rear end car. You will also need a bigger master cylinder.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Get a VN diff for a donor diff. Everything off that u need should bolt up to watever diff u have coz I'm sure all the brakes/mounting points are the same.

You'll need to invest in a VB-VK (maybe VL will work too) disc brake handbrake cable, can be bought new off ebay for about $100. Rip ur drum brakes apart so all u have left is the axle sitting in the tube. Take both axles to a workshop with a press and get them to remove the old bearings and seal and buy DISC BRAKE bearing kits to replace them (disc brake seal is thicker then drum brake seal). Chuck ur brakes back together using everything off the VN diff, it should all fit. Only thing I'm not sure about is the brake line. If the drum brake line doesn't fit, use the VN line, it may be a bit longer, but should still work if u don't wanna cut it down.

Ya don't need to use a bigger master cylinder. Your car should already have a 15/16" master cylinder. VN V6's and even alot of 5.0L's still use the 15/16" mc and they all have disc brakes. A 1" will be better but it's not a must. There's a few threads in here with pics on how to do it.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Pitty your in Vic.
I'm installing a VL Turbo rear end with LSD and just ripped out my disc rear end from my VH and i'm about to chuck it up on ebay.

The VL rear end is wider than the VH but you can get away with 235 rubber on the back with the guards rolled. VN-VS diff are even wider still and won't allow tyres wider than 205 to fit.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
Pitty your in Vic.
I'm installing a VL Turbo rear end with LSD and just ripped out my disc rear end from my VH and i'm about to chuck it up on ebay.

The VL rear end is wider than the VH but you can get away with 235 rubber on the back with the guards rolled. VN-VS diff are even wider still and won't allow tyres wider than 205 to fit.

what state u in mate

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
Why not just buy a disc brake rear end from an sle and fit that. I bought one off ebay for $107. Just make sure the diff ratios are the same or you may have more or less topend,

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Why not just buy a disc brake rear end from an sle and fit that. I bought one off ebay for $107. Just make sure the diff ratios are the same or you may have more or less topend,

Most will be 8 bolt Salisbury's which are crap! Borg Warner's are the way to go in those ol' girls.