Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Commodore Vibration and clunking.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
When I first bought my car i noticed that it has fairly bad vibration when under hard acceleration as well as a clunking noise when putting the car in park after driving.

The vibrations disappears when i hit about 40-60km/h. but when I cope to a stop and put the car in park, it sounds like bare metal hitting each other.

I thought it was my old uni joint, so I had that replaced but the problem is still there.

What could it be?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
My VK with a trimatic makes the same noise when you put it into park, only when its hot though. Trans level ok?

Bastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Seeing as you said "put it in park" I'm tipping its an automatic. Most likely a trimatic? Its probably the transmission. I've had two VKs both with trimatics and these aren't exactly the most problem free transmissions. I went through two in my old VK, and my current VKs trimatic still clunks when I change the gears, I think its just one of those joys of an older car :). Not sure about the bad vibration though!

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I;ve heard that you can replace the old Trimatic with the gearbox from a VN fairly trouble free. Would that be a better otion then just replacing the trimatic with another trimatic?

also i've been told that it could also be the diff thats causing the clunk as well as the flex plate.

If i'm going to have to do repairs, i might as well just start replacing parts towards my V6 conversion.

My VK with a trimatic makes the same noise when you put it into park, only when its hot though. Trans level ok?
I think so, When I first got the car a few months ago, I checked all the fluids in the car and topped up all of them ones that were under. I might have another look and see if it's dropped. It shouldn't have because I havent seen any fluids leaking from my car.

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
have you checked the tailshaft centre support bearing rubber ?
if the rubber is cracked or flogged out the tailshaft will thump and vibrate
very common problem

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
have you checked the tailshaft centre support bearing rubber ?
if the rubber is cracked or flogged out the tailshaft will thump and vibrate
very common problem

I cannot say that I have looked at the rubber. To be honest, if it's out of the engine bay, then I really have no idea what I'm looking at.

I'll try and google images that or soemthing, and get back to you tomorrow (or this morning) but to be honest, I have no idea.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
refer the picture below, it's the round rubber bush that the tailshaft mounts to in the centre (above the bracket mounted to the floor)

images

give the tailshaft a push up and down, if it's stuffed, you should see cracks in the rubber and/or the rubber will seperate from the metal outer ring when you move the tailshaft

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Well, I;ve heard that you can replace the old Trimatic with the gearbox from a VN fairly trouble free.

well, you heard wrong. i doubt its easy, and i doubt it even possible. things like length, speedo cable, and ecu are different (im pretty sure) so i doubt itll happen and for the cost/effort totally not worth it.

like darren said, check your center bearing and center CV shaft