Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing pads and rotors

V

VKnVLCalais

hi guys, im new to the whole DIY automotive. ive only ever had 1 car before the two i have now and ive never had to do it. i will be buying the gregorys manual before the weekend. but in the meantime could u guys post what things i will need and the how to go about changing the front rotors and rear pads on my VK Calais.

Also what works best for u guys and what pros and cons u have about doin this whole procedure and any tips of course.

thanking u in advance
:thumbsup:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ok well there is 2 bolts behind the calipers....undo the bottom one and the caliper will be able to be moved up and slid out of its bracket. get a piece of wire or cable tie to hold up against the strut so it doesnt damage the brake line.... pull pads out of slots....take the cap off of the centre of the rotors and take out the split pin the holds the nut on....when the split pin is out get a 24mm socket (i think :p ) and a ratchet and undo the nut....take the rotor off and clean the bearings and regrease them.

do exactly the opposite for replacing the rotors and calipers :thumbsup: have fun.....i know i did :w00t:

V

VKnVLCalais

ok thanks boona, do i have to push back the caliper when i put the new pads on as the width will have changed?? is this easy or what?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh with a g-clamp and make sure you drain all of the brake fluid from the top aswell if you want some paint left in your engine bay :p lol

V

VKnVLCalais

ok shanks. ive seen an exploded resevoir b4, not a good look.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
haha yeh...lucky it dilutes in water cos i found some about 5 minutes after i did mine and i was packin it cos i knew it ate away at paint....well good luck with your DIY :thumbsup:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
A couple of things sometimes you can give the caliper a bit of a twist on the rotor after you remove the bolts to push the piston back in.
Also clean & regrease your caliper slides with you replace your brake pads and ensure smooth opperation of the slides.
When you press in the new bearings into the new rotors and fit then to your car rotate the rotor as you tighten the nut up this will make sure it is tightened evenly. After 100km just recheck your bearings if they arent pressed in all the way to begin with you may need to tighten the nut.
When bolting the caliper back up make sure the bolt and really tight might be worth even applying some loctite you dont want them coming loose.
cheers
Scott