Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Check A Vk Mechanics For Possible Problems

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i was wondering i was going through your site and i decided just to look around in the Vl's forum and a guy asked how to make sure vl has a1 mechanics (if u know what i mean) i was wondering if you could do the same for me but with a vk, i will be buying 1 hopefully over the weekend so a reply asap i would love.

cheers

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Before starting it up have a good look under the vehicle for any leaks ie oil from diff, trans or engine particularly the rear of it.

Doing the same after starting it up and taking it for a drive, also check it again after you have driven it.

Once you have it started check for any strange sounds or anything that shouldn't be happening.

If you are able to have the car for a little while it might pay to get the car over a pit and have a real good look.

One final check get someone else to stand at the rear end while you give the accelerator a few good pumps, if there is no smoke then your laughing. If there is your probably better off leaving it there.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
these are a few things i learnt along the way when i buy car's,

start up car, run at idle for about 5-6 min's, carefully remove the oil fill cap on the engine, if oil squirt's out, dont get it, blown piston rings

with car on, look at temp gadge, if it's still cool, it's good. turn car off

remove radiator cap, if it's hard to remove the presure is all wrong, dont get it, cooling system problem, could be a faulty water pump or a thermostat. if their is any bubbles in the water/coolent, dont get it, blown head gasket.

remove dipstick, if oil is black or brown it's ok, (black just means need's oil change) if it's cloudy or milky white, dont get it, blown head gasket.

if it's auto remove the dipstick for auto fluid, the oil should be pink or a slightly colored red. rub hand down stick, if their is any black residue on your finger's, dont get it, bad gearbox.

look for the usual gearbox, engine, diff leaks. listen for the usual rattles from engine bay, dont worry about pinging sound, that's just bad fluid. secondly, drive the thing, if you have any doubts, ring the automotive club of your state, we got racq in queensland. they will put it over the pit's and give it a good check.

hope this helps

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
thanks for that garth, that will make my life alot easier

cheers

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Although the post wasn't for my benifit, thats helped me out also, I might be gettin a VK Exec soom (maybe), though I needa get rid of my VB by this saturday. Wreckers told me they might take it for around $300 - which'll be $300 more in the bank account when u think about it.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
does anyone know how to check if the pistons are about to give way?? i recently found a VK berlina with all electrics, windows mirrors air con blah blah, but the pistons where fucked and can u get the blue motor into a VK if so how hard is to do???

cheers