Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top hat position

h0_zay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
Does anyone know if I should line the hole on the top hat up with the hole in the engine bay (where the red circle is) when I pulled it off the hole on the top hat was where the blue dot is

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 320

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
did it steer all right before you took it apart? If yes put it back as it was then go get a front end alignment.

h0_zay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
Nah it was weird to drive before kind of puller you round the corner instead of steered. but now I've changed the steering rack and put new tie end rods and new springs and I don't want to take it for a wheel alignment if they're in the wrong place

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
I would recommend to return the strut top to the original position as moving these around can change camber and caster and make the car drive different to before and could cause excessive tyre wear .
Or ask when they do the alignment to reset the tops to the best position .

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Does anyone know if I should line the hole on the top hat up with the hole in the engine bay (where the red circle is) when I pulled it off the hole on the top hat was where the blue dot is

beg borrow or find a genuine GMH manual.. as it shows you exactly where the top of the bearing goes in the strut tower

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
generally set them so the strut nut is as far back towards the rear of the car for max caster

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
part of the wheel alignment (if your wheel aligner does a proper job) is to check and adjust camber/caster.
So if the camber or caster is out, then they will turn the plate around to the best position to achieve the right settings.
It's not difficult, remove the 3 nuts, jack the car up to take the weight off the suspension and spin the plate around