Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring harness

vkhawkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
hey
i was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to buy new or 2nd hand under bonnet wiring harness for a 308 vk
cheers

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Castlemaine Rod Shop might have brand new engine bay loom for a VK 308. Most auto elecys can make up a new loom, at a cost

vkhawkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
have u got any idea of what that cost could be? wouldnt be cheap would it?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Sorry don't know the cost but i reckon its not that cheap. The only probblem about 2nd hand wire loom is that it will be aleast 20 years old, some wires maybe brittle.
You might have to look and ask around some wrecking joints.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Bah, fixing your own wiring harnesses is fun I reckon :)

Maybe that's just because I'm a bit better with a soldering iron in my hand than a spanner...

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
If you're clever and have the time, you could go to the wreckers and get the ENTIRE loom from a VK or (even a later car as you'll get even more wire), strip all the electrical tape off it carefully and lay it out, then you'll need to copy your existing loom (and perhaps even improve it if you can see things with the existing loom that you arent happy with and would do differently).

I'm in the process of doing parts of mine where the wires are heat perished etc. buy yourself a good quality crimper and a fancy wire stripper that the auto elecs use (expect to pay around $25-$30 for each), if your in melbourne Jay-Dee Autocable in Bayswater have them, if you're doing a lot of auto electronics then they'll save you a lot of time and trouble (Ive got some and use em all the time). to do it yourself could cost up like this i guess;

complete loom from a VK or later $20-$40 (sounds a lot but you try buying that much wire from dick smiths or tandys in all the colours you'll need and see what it costs you!!)
Toledo Wire Cutter; around $25-30
Bellanco Super Crimp III; around $25-30 www.bellanco.com.au

you'll need these to replace the harnesses
harnesses; expect to spend somewhere between $20-$100 i guess depending on how many harnesses and looms you tackle.

or you can try and buy one but I have no idea on how much they would cost.

Attachments

• crimpers.JPG
    crimpers.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 229