Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Station wagon diff in Vk Sedan will it fit?? please help

vk commo

Vk 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
hello i have just brought a VN s/wagon as a wreak $350! and are wanting to convert my vk 202 to a V6 were just wondering if the diff will be useable as it has the rear discs! engine has done 204424 K's is that ok?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Nope, the station wagon diff has the wrong mounting points for the shocks. Also it would be way to wide for the VK.
You can uses the rear disc brakes however. I'm sure the diff centre can fit into a VK B/W centre.

vk commo

Vk 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Thanks mate:)

any idea of what diff i should use? i have a sailsbury at the moment a Borg Warner M76 would be the go?

chaz's-vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK308
A VN diff is too long jest swop the brakes but i dont like bord warner X3. they blow up to easy. go the Sailsbury

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Sort answer, No it wont fit.

The Borgwarner M76 is a gearbox not a diff the Borgwarner diffs used in the VK/VL is a 78 series. The VK/VL single spinner & VK LSD diffs use a 25 spline axel. The LSD centres are 2 pinion.
The VL Turbo & VL V8 LSDs are 28 spline and are a 4 pinion.

The stationwagon diffs are wider than a sedan diff.Later model diffs are wider again.

As SL/NUT said the mounting points are different between sedan and wagon. But...

Also the disc brake assemblies are slightly different on VN+ models. The VB-VL the handbrake cable attaches at the top of the assembly. On the VN+ it attaches at the bottom, its a better design but I dont know how you would go cable wise.

You could also get a Borgwarner diff out of a 85 VK or VL and use it in your car. You will prob find a
Also check out different diffs as different models have different ratios 85 VK is generally 3.36, VL is 3.45, VN+ 3.08.

If your diff is a 78 series borgwarner keep it it should be strong enough, you could try unbolting thr VN disc setup and bolting it up to your current diff, you will need to change axel seals & axel bearings.

cheers
Scott

vk commo

Vk 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
geez thanks for all your help! my diff is the sailsbury has a different tailshaft were wondering if it would stand up to the V6? and also ill try using the vn handbrake cable maybe. so sad, my 202 is comming out on the weekend :( been towing a trailer and all with it this week, has been a great engine but seeing the VN so cheap i thought it was a good chance to modernise the VK. wiring it up will be the hardest have taken all the VN looms out and have taken all the headlight wires etc.. out my vk is already has rego how do i go about the V6 and engine numbers?

Mickey Maj

VLT RB30DET
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
hey guys, i've got a vb that i boted up a vr s/wagon diff after modifying the shock mounts and pumping the gaurds out also i have modified the vr front struts to bolt up to my excisting strut towers and vr FE2 brakes, controll arms an sway bars used aswell also coverted to a v6 installed power steer and wired it up myself got 90%of the wiring dun in 1 day. just have to change the fuel tank and lines over and get the vn tailshatf shortened an it will b ready to go.