Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto to Manual Conversion.

SoulGrind

§ôµÏG®ïñD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SII Calais - VF SSV Redline
I'm looking into putting a 4 Speed Aussie Manual Gearbox etc into my car.

I was wondering if anyones done this and what i'm in for?

I'm on a trimatic 202 system.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Its pretty straight forward

You can make the change in stages to make it easier and keep the car on the road longer.

I did my pedal box first, I took the dash appart, unbolted the master cylinder & brake booster and swapped over thepedal box.

The gearbox chage is pretty straight forward, remove all the auto components, including the T bar fromt he transmission tunnel, plus the flex plate. Dont forget to install a new spigot bush in the crank shaft and lube it with a small amount of grease. Then basically install all the manual bits.
I cant remember if the tailshaft will fit or not it was nearly 10 years ago i did my conversion.

cheers
Scott

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Here's a rough list, I rekon it's everything.

- gearbox
- crossmember
- bellhousing
- flywheel
- clutch
- shifter
- speedo cable
- clutch cable
- manual pedal box
- manual tailshaft (front section is all thats requred)
EDIT:
- spigot bush.....thx scotty, forgot bout that lol :p

Thats about it I rekon. I had a 5spd in my VH, but just bought a VK wags with a 202 trimatic...soon i'll be putting the manual into the wags.

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
The Auto flex plate is very thin and the torque conv. bolts up to it.
The manual gearbox flywheel (Not flex plate) has the clutch assembly bolted to it and you have to guide the gearbox input shaft through it very carefully when you assemble them. Both are bolted to the end of the crankshaft in the same way.
The spigot bush fits inside the end of the crankshaft and then the manual flywheel is bolted on over the top of it. The auto does not have a spigot bush, but relies on the shape of the torque converter and the mounting bolts to centralize it to the flex plate. You have to fit a spigot bush if you have an auto car, that you put a manual box into.
Both have a toothed edge which allows the starter motor to engage them and spin them to start the motor.
Does that help?

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
My auto had a spigot bush when I did my conversion, so check anyway otherwise you'll be wondering what is stopping the manual spigot from going all the way in. Helps to soak the new spigot in some trasmission oil overnight too.

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
spigot bushes are porous(spelling), all you do is sit it on your hand standing up, fill it with oil and create hydrualic pressure with your other hand and the oil will seep through the bush, i think it's spigot bushes i'm thinking of.

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Fair enough, my main concern for people doing the conversion and reading this was that either way, be it called a bearing or a bush, theres still a chunk of metal sitting in the crankshaft that you'll have to remove before putting in the appropriate spigot bush for a manual box.