Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailed info required for 6 cyl EST

Stevo-d

Calais Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Cusom build (mock Calais)
I need some detailed information about how the EST system works....

I know that the EST control module controls the ignition timing and collects information from multiple engine sensors, most importantly the 3 flywheel sensor points and obviously controls spark from this.

What I can't understand is how does the EST module know what cycle/stroke the engine is at and when to spark... If there were only one pickup sensor on the flywheel it would be easy for the EST module to know when the engine is at TDC, but there are three??? and even if there were only one sensor point, how would it know when to spark, as it would only have to do it every 2 revolutions???

I want to do a major modification on the timing control and modify the engine to EFI.

If anyone can explain how the EST system knows when to spark, please help me out :bow:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Simple mate buy a hei dizzy from a blue motor or efi black and forget about est its crap. As for how it works it doesnt really i blew it up in my old vk doing a burnout racq guy told me to get a blue dizzy so i did and never looked back. I think it was a stupid idea by holden good in principal but not that good in 20 years time.

Stevo-d

Calais Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair call, but I'm looking at building a system where the timing will still be controlled electronically, which is not possible with the reluctor type dizzy, as the spark is controlled directly by the mechanical & vaccum advance mechanisms.

Also, the EFI system I want to build would fire each injector individually at each cylinders intake cycle, rather than the standard EFI's method of all injectors firing simultaniously.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm going to make the asumption that this efi system you wish to build is going to be fitted to the holden 3.3 engine. there must be systems out there that can handle sequencial injection and will also be able to handle the ignition side of things as well, you will probably need to fit a crank trigger or similar for timing reference but what ever system you use will specify what you will need

Stevo-d

Calais Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, it is a 3.3L engine.

I really want to build my own system so I can tune it just the way I want it - tuning being injector timing and pulse duration + ignition timing.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to come to the point that there is no way to determine when each cylinder will be at an intake stroke :cry:

I sort of do already have the crank timing positions available with the original flywheel sensors, but I'm not sure how this can be used - obviously the EST module knows what to do with them...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes, it is a 3.3L engine.

I really want to build my own system so I can tune it just the way I want it - tuning being injector timing and pulse duration + ignition timing.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to come to the point that there is no way to determine when each cylinder will be at an intake stroke :cry:

I sort of do already have the crank timing positions available with the original flywheel sensors, but I'm not sure how this can be used - obviously the EST module knows what to do with them...

it sounds like you intend to build your own system from scratch. thats a big task. may i suggest you check out the site for LINK electrosystems. they do engine management systems and may possibly have something that will suit your application.

http://www.linkecu.com/