Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto-magic Headlights (surveilance mode)

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Is it possible to fit something to do the "surveilance mode" I have been hearing about on here (i.e. disable the farking annoying automatic headlights)

I have never been more annoyed in my life - at least on my chrysler I can go into the evic and disable auto headlamps... ther commodore just p*sses me off by turning them on anytime it feels like it.

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
pretty sure you can change the sensitivity on the auto headlights in the trip computer. but on the actual light switch itself im sure u can turn the nob to off instead of leaving it on auto.
hope this helps

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
but on the actual light switch itself im sure u can turn the nob to off instead of leaving it on auto.
hope this helps

nope the switch wont stay in the off position you can only flick it to it but it wont click in to stay there, it centralises in the auto position

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
nope the switch wont stay in the off position you can only flick it to it but it wont click in to stay there, it centralises in the auto position

You are correct... the knob always pops back to Auto (and even if you have the sensitivity changed, the farking headlights still come on every time you start the car (even on a hot sunny day):bang:

I have SO had enough of them (as I see others on this forum have as well)

I would so love to get the "Surveillance mode" switch that the bluebottles have in their commodores

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the surveilence swith only cancells the interior lights execpt for the speedo,

to do that hold the dimmer light button together at the same time,

if you flick the switch to off, the lights should stay off for that ignition cycle

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
what is the issue? the lights only come on when needed..... they only turn on if it is dark enough for them to come on.... mine always come on when i start the car in the car port, but turn off when i back out in to the sunlight.
How in gods name could they be that annoying? unless you are sticking your face in front of them...... life is full of much better things to worry about than headlights :hit:

If they come on when i am not going to move the car from the carport, i turn them off manually.... takes all of about 1.3 seconds when i put the key in the ignition :p

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
what is the issue? the lights only come on when needed..... they only turn on if it is dark enough for them to come on.... mine always come on when i start the car in the car port, but turn off when i back out in to the sunlight.
How in gods name could they be that annoying? unless you are sticking your face in front of them...... life is full of much better things to worry about than headlights :hit:

If they come on when i am not going to move the car from the carport, i turn them off manually.... takes all of about 1.3 seconds when i put the key in the ignition :p

The issue is this:
1. I am the driver
2. I am (i hope) smart enough to decide for myself when I want my headlights to come on
3. Having the headlights just turn on whenever they feel like it is not only stupid, not only an extra load on the engine when starting, but I have seen it be unsafe (driving down the road when some poor guys headlights decide to turn on and startle the crap out of oncoming traffic - me... I always wait until I am stationary or there is noone coming at me for a few hundred metres before turning on my headlights - but maybe I am just over-considerate)
4. If I pay $50-60k for a car I expect not to be constantly annoyed by things like headlights that turn on every time (ran hail or shine). The answer is that I shouldn't HAVE to turn my headlights off every time I start my motor - whether as you say it takes 1.3 seconds or not

On my chrysler I can disable autorubbish headlights... it is a software setting... why the f*ck does holden seem to think it's consumers are so stupid that they cant decide for themselves - so they dont put in some method to overide the default (READ: annoying) setting in the software?

Come on - they should be smarter than that if "they are drivers too"

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
The only way you are going to startle people is if you have it on high beam, or if you are one of the wanke.... errrrr people who always run with their fog lights on. I can't see it putting any detrimental load on on the engine OR the alternator. You can turn off the entry or egress lighting mode through the computer..... i have mine on and set for 30 seconds.... that way, if you are parked in a dark area and you turn your ignition on, the lights will be on for only a couple of seconds before you start the car.

seriously mate... if auto headlights are the only thing you have to worry about, you need to get out more...... either that, or trade it in, buy a ford and go visit the ford forums and bag out the commodore for having auto headlights :unsure:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I'm with holomatrix. I find the auto headlights extremely annoying.

It would have to put a big drain on the battery / alternator having the headlights on every time you start the car.

Everyone has different opinions and preferences. For those of us that don't want auto headlights, we should have the option to over-ride them. The Holden Cruze I just bought for the missus is the same - no manual over-ride option. :bang: My old VY SS was perfect in this regard - you could either have the headlights set to auto or manual - your choice. It's a relatively small issue, I know but I see this as a backward step by Holden.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
yes you are right... each to their own opinions :thumbsup: i don't see the issue with auto headlights, and you guys do.... the place would be as boring as hell if we all agreed :D