Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Timing Chain (Stretched)

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it happening to others before.

Long story short… the MIL light started coming on intermittently when starting the engine and driving. Over time it stayed on constantly which forced me to book it in at Holden. Annoyingly the warranty just expired over a month ago also!
The car is now currently at Ralph Da Silva in Preston to have the trouble codes examined. They found that the timing chain sensor was detecting an over stretched chain.
The dealership to their credit contacted head office and asked them to foot the bill for its replacement which I am told is about $2000 bucks so. Luckily they agreed to this so early January its going back in for replacement.
Has anyone encountered or heard of this sort of problem on the Alloytec engine? It is true I do give it a hard time every once and a while but nothing that bad it would cause the timing chain to stretch.
Genuinely interested in your opinions and any ideas how it happend… cause I am buggered if I know.

BTW... I drive a 2006 VE Calais (Alloytec V6 195kw) with 87,000km on the clock.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yep there was a release of motor back in my06 VZ and VE that had a revised timing chain, ironically thinner than the original setup, there was batch of chains that stretched, so replacement of the 3 chains to another revised chain is the fix,

it was well documented on the tech sheets when it was occuring

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
We still have issues on the ly7 here in the States. I work at a Cadillac dealer and the ly7 is in the CTS, SRX and STS. We have issues with streching (p0008) from 2004 to current MY.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
We still have issues on the ly7 here in the States. I work at a Cadillac dealer and the ly7 is in the CTS, SRX and STS. We have issues with streching (p0008) from 2004 to current MY.

hmm, we dont anymore, they rectified it during my07

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
yeah never hear of it anymore over here.

i believe the first alloytecs suffered from chain noise holden redesigned and they then stretched. holden redesigned again seems ok now.

A

acca00

yeah this happened to mine, Holden took care of it and fixed it straight away.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Thanks for all your replies. Guess it happens on some allotecs. Even though the warranty is long expired a few earlier posts explain why Holden are footing the bill! Will see how they go in early Jan replacing it all.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
hit them up for replacement passion this is a knowen problem