Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light bulb choice

ypod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6
Wanting to change the bulbs in my car.
Was going to go the HID way but seeing as the projectors alone are $700 a pair thinking i'll just go the bulbs instead.

Looking at the Philips Crystal Visions.

Anyone got any other recommendations?

I dont really want to compromise on safety so whilst looking good is important so is being able to see!

Also, at Autobarn, these retail for 134 a pair whereas they are only 50-60 on ebay from international sellers. Although they say genuine i'm still a little iffy as to whether they are fakes or not..

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
HID's are illegal, save your self the potential hassle. Go Phillips Plus +80's. One of the best globes on the market.

ypod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6
HID's are illegal? Sorry if Im just naive but I had them on a Honda Accord Euro from the dealer as an option.. I'm pretty sure it was in the catalogue too. And nope they weren't xenons cos this was the debate i was having with my friend and we checked..

Also, I want a whiter light rather than the yellow so I agree thats a good bulb but yeh...

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
HID's are illegal? Sorry if Im just naive but I had them on a Honda Accord Euro from the dealer as an option.. I'm pretty sure it was in the catalogue too. And nope they weren't xenons cos this was the debate i was having with my friend and we checked..

Also, I want a whiter light rather than the yellow so I agree thats a good bulb but yeh...

Yeah if they came from factory then yep all good. If not you will need to have a self levelling system as well as either wipers or jets to clean lights.

ruffiano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've fitted Crystal Vision globes in mine (at $90 a pair at autobarn? where are you looking???), and they're great. I do a lot of highway driving, country back roads and night driving, so teh extra vision is great, as well as the asthetic of it.
One drawback is that the legal limit for luminescence of the globes is 4200K (Normal globes are aroudn 3000K). Crystal vision are actually 4300K, but you really cant pick them as being over, so you shoudl be right. The DIamond vision are 5000K. If memory serves, the Philips +80 are 4200K? (but not as white in their light). I used to run Narva Blue, but were no where near as good...

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whiter is better then blue. The higher the K the bluer it is and the less distance it goes. I get asked all the time if I have HID's because there so white and bright.

ypod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6
I've fitted Crystal Vision globes in mine (at $90 a pair at autobarn? where are you looking???)

I asked at both Autobarn Doncaster and Elizabeth St in Melbourne. $134.50 for a pair of H7's and H11s each.

$55 on eBay. Says it's genuine, comes from Singapore or HK but dunno if I should try get them locally and pay more just for peace of mind.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Ill agree with wraith on his recommendation +80's, excellent bulbs,

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
do they have a yellow look?

Nope real white. Looks so good compared to the yellow or blue lights every one seems to have.