Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 SV6 Stretched Timing Chain

Lenny66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2007 and VE SV6 SIDI 2010
Hi I have a SV6 with 94,000 K's on it.
Today after starting i got a engine warning alarm, i took it straight to Holden left it running and the plugged a computer into it which gave a code P0008 or something like that. They said Timing chain could be stretched would have to leave with them for 1 to 2 days.
Anyone experienced this?

Lenny. Thank god still under warranty

The other week the radiator split inside and the contents of the radiator ended up in the gear box.
Thanks Holden, I got a new gearbox and Radiator.
What Next?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Pray the engine blows up next, that way you are 94,000km better off. :)

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
some of them came with the WRONG part from factory, which is a similar issue having lived 94,000 ks i wouldnt think its that

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
In the states, its an ongoing problem on the 3.6.

groper1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6
I had the same issue on a VE SV6 at 52,000 km after I dropped in to Ferntree Gully Holden to show them the dash alarm message (1st visit). Ferntree Gully Holden replaced the timing chain. After leaving the car with them for 1 week (I was overseas) I picked it up on the Friday night (2nd visit), then found a pool of oil on my garage floor the following day. I took it back to FTG Holden (3rd visit) and they kept it for another 2 days to replace a 'faulty' gasket. I got it back the following Tuesday night and when I got home to check it I found the alloy cover on top of the engine was covered in burnt oil, and there were 2 plastic retaining clips missing. I went back Wednesday AM (4th visit) to have the cover cleaned and retainers replaced. 1 day later there was a constant squeal from the front of the engine. When I returned to FTG Holden on Friday (5th visit) I was advised the power steering pulley required replacing and that this was an ongoing issue. They also needed to order the part from GMH. Of course I asked why this was not replaced when they did the timning belt (or 'faulty' gasket) they said that GM would not allow the warranty claim if the pulley was replaced before it failed (despite it being known this was a common issue). The final (6th visit) trip to FTG Holden resoloved all of my issues at that time. Good luck Lenny66 .......................

Last edited:

Lenny66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Groper,

Mate thats a shocker!!

I drop it off today, if that happens ill go nuts.
I will keep you posted

Lenny66

Drewh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hi Guys,
Just bought an 06 SV6 and it now has the same issue. took it to Holden and because its done 120K they have said its not covered. I fought with them and they are going to speak to Holden head office and see if they will cover the costs. i found some of the GM bulletins relating to this issue but no Holden ones... :(
I'll just have to wait and see if they cover it.

Lenny66

Reaction score
Members Ride
HI Guy's ..They fixed it under Warranty...the chains were stretched by 4mm. The new chains are a revised version that the round bit in the middle is now 9mm diameter instead of 7mm.

Its a known Problem

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
FYI the dtc will set a p0008 code.