Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE slightly shudders at 110km/h + (wheel balance or alignment?)

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
On of my VE's at anything under 100km/h will drive smooth but as soon as Im on the freeway doing 110km/h or more you feel slight shuddering my question is weather if i need to get a wheel alignment or Tyre balance or both...

LGW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
Where ever you go to get it fixed make sure its a reputable place as when I got my tyres rotated, balanced and aligned I noticed there were vibrations at about 100kp/h and had to go back the next day for them to redo! Also, I noticed huge gouges on the inside of my alloys from where they removed the old weights. grrrrrrrrr

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Where ever you go to get it fixed make sure its a reputable place as when I got my tyres rotated, balanced and aligned I noticed there were vibrations at about 100kp/h and had to go back the next day for them to redo! Also, I noticed huge gouges on the inside of my alloys from where they removed the old weights. grrrrrrrrr

wow.. gouges??? I was pissed when they hadn't removed all the adhesive!

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Mine does the same, but it isnt your wheel balance. This is a tech note;

#PIC4989: Drive Line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration - (Oct 2, 2008)

Subject: Drive Line Boom Noise and/or Vibration

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
There may be a either a boom noise or vibration and in some cases both a noise & vibration detected in a very few 2008 & 2009 G8's. This condition may be detected by customers at speeds of 55-65 MPH on either 08 or 09 G8's. The noise could be described as a low frequency boom or moan noise (not a whine) coming through the body. The vibration is generally felt in the seat or the floor pan. The condition could be caused by either a misaligned center support bearing assembly or the prop shaft mounting to the differential yoke.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The prop shaft center support mount is slotted left to right and can be adjusted by loosening the bolts which are accessible through holes in the metal shield between the prop shaft & the floor sheet metal. After loosening the center support bolts you can use a pry bar between the prop shaft & floor to adjust the center support. If the alignment isn't correct the prop shaft will usually "snap over" into proper location with very little input.

If the condition is both noise & vibration felt through the floor, re-indexing the prop shaft to the differential yoke may have to be performed:

Mark the relative alignment of the propshaft, rubber coupling, and differential in the original position.
Number the nut and bolt pairs and their hole in the rubber coupling which join the rubber coupling to the differential (silver) and the nut and bolts which join the propshaft to the rubber coupling (black).
Remove rubber coupling from differential and propshaft, ensure the nut and bolt pairs are kept together.
Re-assemble indexing the rubber coupling and silver bolts clockwise (relative to differential), and the propshaft and black bolts counter clockwise (relative to differential).
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think lease1 is on the money. My black one had this issue however the fix was to install a counterweight to the gearbox (same as some VN/VP T5's had fitted) that dulled out the harmonics and fixed the problem. The fix described above could also be another solution to the problem.

Reaper

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Mine has FINALLY been fixed by Holden. They replaced the entire tailshaft and related components under warranty. Vibration GONE!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Mine has FINALLY been fixed by Holden. They replaced the entire tailshaft and related components under warranty. Vibration GONE!

Always good when issues get resolved! Hopefully I'll be in the same boat in a couple of weeks! (not holding my breath though!)