Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
anyone changed over to E85 yet?
if so what did it require and what difference in power and fuel consumption did you get?

just watched Oz Garage S02E06 Online - E85 Fuel | OzGarage
sounds promising when E85 becomes more available - it looks like you need to upgrade the whole fuel system though, but arent the new series 2 supposed to be E85 ready and hence only need to be tuned?

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I think only the ss's are currently released with e85

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
ss and 3.0L sidi's (series II) are e85 compatible

3.6l sidi (series I and II) will not run on e85

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
OP are you asking about VEs in general or 6cyl? I know plenty of SSV owners who've gone down the E85 track (multiple tunes - their car tuned for E85 and 98 PULP). There's some bloody awesome results to be had from E85 tuning. You get more power from it but use more than PULP, but it's lots cheaper. Once it's more readily available it'll be better.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
E85's advantage is most apparent with either lots of boost, very high compression ratio or a bit of both.

My brother just finished his 1UZ-FE build. Just 14:1 compression pistons (Originally 10:1), E85 and bigger cams pretty much. It went from 150rwkw to 270rwkw! That's a 4L N/A engine that still has heaps of midrange!

Also on my S14 I went from 240rwkw at 20psi with 8.5:1 pistons to 270rwkw with 9:1 pistons at 23psi on E85 and earlier boost response.

I think E85 allows U to do mods that increase power rather than making a big power increase itself. This is why flex fuel cars don't make any more power on E85 than on ULP.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
apparently the series 2 SS's have the ability to have multiple tunes to suit different fuel types. So you can get your car tuned on 98 and E85 and the car will sens the type of fuel you put in and use the suitable map
however with the E85 tune you seem to get at least another 10rwkw out of it compared to 98

for example an average SS:
intake exhaust and tune using 98 250rwkw
intake exhaust and tune using E85 260rwkw

best of both worlds, but im guessing you'd use E85 unless the servo didnt have it for the extra power
the only downside is that you will use about 30% more of the E85 fuel compared to 98 - im not sure about the prices though but you will be filling up more

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
At the moment (near me at least) E85 works out to be slightly more expensive than PULP when factoring in the increased fuel consumption. That will no doubt be reversed as more stations start selling it though.

Off on a slight tangent, but I'm really liking the idea of liquid gas injection a lot more than biofuel at the moment - aside from the initial outlay of course.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
If you build an engine with a higher high compression ratio to make full use of the fuel, fuel consumption loss is MUCH better than 30%. Ethanol has about 30% less energy BUT if you make the burn more efficient with high compression ratio, it gets more power out of the same amount of air so more power and less throttle needed to keep the same speed. Also because Ethanol has a much higher heat capacity, you can run a leaner mixture and still get the same cooling effect.

The combination of these 2 things make up for about 20% of the 30% loss in consumption from the Ethanol.

Fuel companies should be phasing in E30/95 (30% ethanol/70% 95 RON) as THE standard fuel worldwide and discontinue straight 91 and 95. It'll still operate fine in 99% of cars that are built for regular unleaded without modification but the new minimum standard would allow new car manufacturers to build engines that properly make use of ethanol blend fuels and have extremely low emissions too!

If you build an engine to make full use of E85 then put ULP in it, it wouldn't even make it out of the petrol station driveway! We tried running in my brother's car with the 14:1 pistons on 50% ethanol/50% 98 RON and it knocked when taking off from idle even with like 5 degrees ignition timing! It needed E85 at MINIMUM just to control knock.