Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please please help - dash not working

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
I have just gone to strat my car and the car starts fine but i have no dash at all. The orange engine light comes on but thats it. no system check in the middle, nothing. Radio works, the buttons on the steering wheel dont but they light up. Tacho does not work and neither does the speedo or the temp guage can someone please give me some suggestions.

car is a 2009 VE SS Auto, x cop car. Holden told me this morning on the phone that there is a stealth switch near the sunglass holder (the long bar) i pressed this and nothing.

I have checked all fuses in the kick panel and engine bar. Any more suggestions please.

THANKS

ROB

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Start the car, and press both + & - buttons which control the instrumentation brightness. They are located just above the headlights switch. Doing this at night turns off just about all controls on the dash, lighting, taco, fuel, temp etc

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
I have tried this and it turns off the centre panel where the clock is, but still no affect on the speedo etc

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
You could try an ECM reset. Basically take the negative lead off the battery and leave for 15mins. Reconnect. There is another preceedure for reseting it but a little more involved.

However it goes like this.

ECM reset.

Ignition off.
Pull ECM / BCM fuses. ( In the VE there is one where the battery is (little black box) and the other in the fuse box in the engine bay)
Turn ignition on (DO NOT START ENGINE) till the warning chimes sound.
Turn Ignition off.
Replace fuse/s.
Turn ignition on and check that all is OK.

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
i had this happen in my ss (also x copper) i found it to be the stealth button some how tripped.
I pulled the sunglasses/light assy apart and found that they had broken the switch head off.
so found a new switch and soldered the new one on and havent had the problem since.

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
Do I actually start the engine or not. If I don't there is no chime noise. I tried disconnecting the battery and no change.

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
Ok Everyone this is what i have done and still no change.

* Disconnected the battery for about 2.5 hours and pluged back in. Still no chnage

* Removed the ECM/BCM fuses, one in the boot near the battery and the other in the engine bay. removed and then ingnition turned on but not the engine for about 5 min, then turned off and fuses back in and then started the engine. Then the engine light stayed on, had to disconnect the battery again and then restarted the car, engine light disappeared but still no change to the cluster.

* I removed the sunglass holder and dismantled it to find the stealth switch. I then plugged the board back in and switched the car on and off from stealth mode and it only effected the radio and the steering wheel lights.

So the issue still stands, i have no speedo cluster at all. no dash lights (except for clock and radio), no speedo, no tacho, no temp guage, no fuel guage, no trip computer, no steering wheel controls. I really dont understand whats happened, it was fine yesterday. but the thing is its not just the speedo cluster its the steering wheel controls as well.

Can anyone else suggest anything to try or look at.

Thanks Rob

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
should be still under warranty talk to holden dealer on monday

sso6ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 06
I have an 06 ve ssv and mines been having the same problem for about 3 months now, i havnt actually found the reason to this happening but have found that if i disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for no less than about half hour and when putting back onto the battery really tight and doin up the clamp bolt it seems to repair itself until the next morning, its a pain in the arse but thats what ive been doing everyday for the last 3 months.

so yeah if anyone knows of this fault and how to actually repair it, let me know.