Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the transmission oil and filter?

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi,

I am looking at changing the automatic transmission fluid and filter on a VE berlina. Does anyone know how to do this?

I had a look under the car and there is pan with many bolts and nuts attached to it. i assume if i undo the nuts and remove the pan this where i can remove the old transmission fluid and filter.

Can someone confirm.

Thanks.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Correct.......

ssv183

BAZINGA
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV CBR1000rr
Correct.......

Probs a silly question Ricey but is the 6 speed auto on a ssv the same?, i cant see where to put the new trans fluid???? ( i cant even find the dipstick to check my level!!)

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks Ricey. Based on your experience is it easy to remove all the nuts from the pan and do I need any special tools? I assume that the filters are only available from Holden? Any idea how much the filter may cost.

Does all of the fluid sit in the pan or is their something else i need to do to remove all of the oil?

Cheers.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
ill answer both q's shortly just cookin dinner haha

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Probs a silly question Ricey but is the 6 speed auto on a ssv the same?, i cant see where to put the new trans fluid???? ( i cant even find the dipstick to check my level!!)

No dipstick there a rubber fill plug up on the drivers side of the tranny and a sump plug in the base of the tranny.

If you drop the pan and change the filter it should take around 6.3litres of DEX VI

Start with 6 litres filling through the rubber plug.

Run the car through all the gears and wait till the trans fluid temp is between 30-50degrees, monitor this by using engineerining mode and scrolling down to transmission sump temp.

Now while the engine is running remove the sump plug from the transmission base and if no fluid comes out slowly top up till it begins to drip out. If fluid gushes out its overfilled so wait till it slows to drips then replace the sump plug.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thanks Ricey. Based on your experience is it easy to remove all the nuts from the pan and do I need any special tools? I assume that the filters are only available from Holden? Any idea how much the filter may cost.

Does all of the fluid sit in the pan or is their something else i need to do to remove all of the oil?

Cheers.

No special tools required, can probably get non gen but Id stick with genuine. Not sure on cost.. cant really get all the fluid out theres probably a further 4 or so litres in the converter, cooler and lines.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi Ricey, ssv183 raised an important point. In addition to my other questions, how do I then fill the pan with fluid and from where?

Just did a bit of research about the transmission filter and I assume I need to pick up a filter kit and the filter would sit in the pan. I would appreciate any step by step advice about the process you can provide so I don't stuff this up.

Again as always, i appreciate your advice.

Cheers