Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Suspension-Issue

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Well I Picked up my SV6 S2 on Monday and had the suspension, wheels and tint done yesterday. Very happy with how it sits and looks (will post some pics soon).

My question is with the suspension, although the guy did say it would creek and bang around for a bit while it settles in, there is a loud bang every time I go over a speed bump or something similar(front end only). Is this a normal thing when you have the car lowered? Has anybody else experienced this before?

Just so you know I did Pedders suspension, as low as they had anyway. Sits 630mm rear and 640mm front.

Can anyone put my mind at ease or should I just take it back and get it looked at?

Cheers,
Clint

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Hmm i did pedders coil overs and mine never cluncked and banged....i would wait a few days to let it settle and if it still does it take it back. I had a cheap shop do mine b4 i took it to pedders and it made loud bang in the front and it wasn't right.....did the just change springs???

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Yeah, just had the springs only done. Cost me $440

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
mmmm i would've got them to change the shocks 2....my local pedders said they couldn't even change springs that cheap..id take it back and ask them to test drive it and see what they think

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
should definitely be no noise, but I gotta ask.... when you say "go over a speed bump or something" you are taking it slow right?
do you hear the noise at any other time, like when driving at speed, braking, going around a round-a-bout?
my initial thoughts are that you are hitting bump stops on the front end because you arent driving slow enough. i've got Pedders SportsRyders and havent had a single issue.

you also said you went "as low as they go" from pedders, but you didnt mention if they changed the shocks too?
because lowering it a little bit with pedders on the SportRyders doesnt require new shocks (thats what I did, never hit bump stops), but if you dropped it significantly you need to swap over the shocks too. standard shocks in suspension too short will continue to hit the bump stops in the shocks.
long story short, we need pics and more info.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Yeah, just had the springs only done. Cost me $440

a) if you went 'as low as they go', springs only is no good.
b) that's damn cheap (almost too cheap) for legit SportsRyders from Pedders. $600-650 is about as cheap as anyone can normally find. take a look underneath- what colour are they? red or black?
c) is this a pedders reseller or a legit pedders store?

my spidey scenses are tingling...

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
knowing pedders they probobly compressed ur springs and put em in
now their ####ing up u gotta take ur car back and they will list all this **** wrong with ur car
fix it and expect u to pay even if i didnt tell them to fix it

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
My money is either on loose strut top nut.

When you get new suspension, creeking is acceptable... banging is not.

Banging is caused by their 2 objects that should be hitting into each other, hitting into eachother or when something in the geometry is wrong preloaded tension is released on a component. Eg turning from lock to lock you get a bang when instead of the shock and spring having a smooth rotation it catches loads and then suddenly rotates.

Hope you get this sorted mate.

One quick question, what wheels? Any chance its a wheel hitting the inner guard or something?

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
OK.....in my opinion the car isn't that low. At the front about an inch above guard and back is about level with guard. That's why I didn't bother with shocks. I rang Pedders and they said it could have something to do with the top of the strut, can't remember what exactly. The top nut is about half a centimeter down the thread, feels pretty tight there.

There is definitely no noise during driving and the bangs happens only when going over a bump slowly. Certainly doesn't seem normal to me.

This was done by a pedders reseller and the springs are RED. I'm going to take it to Pedders tomorrow for them to have a look see.

Wheels are BSA Velocity 20". Apparently perfect for the Commodore.