Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easy OEM VE Front Dash 12V Socket Install (Alternative to Cigarette Lighter purchase)

nils7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Ute
Hi guys, ever wanting a spare 12V socket for the VE Commodore in a place that Holden should have placed it - that is - under the audio unit, without having to buy a Holden Ashtray Cigaretter Lighter kit?

I replaced my compartment space with a Pontiac G8 front 12V socket kit (see pic), its a tidy OEM install and is better than the Holden Ashtray kit as it provide the user with extra space to place items as well looks a cleaner install.

g812v.jpg

IMAG0308web.jpg

IMAG0309web.jpg

IMAG0310web.jpg

The GM part number is 92206136 Compartment.

Im sure you will be able to order from Holden or get one from a pontiac G8 wreck from the states.

Its an easy install and requires removal of the trim surrounding the gear stick and undoing x2 screws to remove the exisiting blank compartment space, and replacing with the G8 12V socket kit. The G8 12V socket requires wiring up to the exisiting spare cigarette lighting wiring which is housed underneath the audio unit, this is accessed by removing the centre compartment driver side panel (see pic) and unclipping the cigarette lighting wiring clip. For some strange reason the clips on each do not mate correctly but to resolve this i just mated the two using spare wire and spade terminals. The spare cigarette lighter clip will have three terminals, pos, neg and lighting for the cigarette lighter ring, the thrid is redundant when using the pontiac 12V socket kit.

DSC00470new.jpg

As you can see in the pic its a clean install, takes bout 10 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
love this idea. hate having to plug my power into the centre console. will see about getting one too.

captaincupcake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega - SS Mock Up
this is definitely something i will be doing in the near future. Thanks for the info

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
That's fantastic, might have to look into that.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
That Looks real good defs gonna do it, but will also hack a usb port in to it.
if any one finds a reseller pm me thanks

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
try the wrekers. got a sv6 foglight switch from one and i have no use for it now lol
That Looks real good defs gonna do it, but will also hack a usb port in to it.
if any one finds a reseller pm me thanks

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
this is awesome.... but finding one of these is going to be really hard for local folk :(.

thanks for write up and pics OP :thumbsup:

dredrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Berlina Sedan
Perhaps JHP should be informed of this and see if he can get some import happening?