Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone know of manual to change timing chain or is my problem not even timing chain

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i am looking at having to change timing chain on my SV6 error codes have been told its timing chain. even though many ppl even holden told me the 07 didn't have issues with the timing chain. and the car has very low km on it.am getting check engine coming up sometimes not everyday maybe every 2nd or 3rd day and the car feels like its got a miss in engine. still runing smooth seems to lost a little power doesn't accelerate like before. idles fine smooth no rough idling at all. no noise from engine at all. the mech i talked to.. all said you cant hear the timing chain at all.. the engine is very quiet. anyone had similar problem with engine feels like its missed a little when driving like a surge and down. but in the smallest amount. i download the manual but it shows all about the engine and all else. but cant seem to find about replacing the timing chain procedure. used to build my engines when i had my EH HR and SLR so have a background on engines. but didn't want to dive into my SV6 without having some idea of procedure on doing it. pity i dont know of any mech here in south east of anyone who has done this job on there own car. dont mind paying them to give me a hand on it my mech wants $1600 to do it. a day and half job. so anyone here in south east either done this on there car. or holden mech want to make some cash on giving me a hand. am not asking them to do all the work. i just would like to have them to advise me on what to do. i know there are holden mech on this site. might want some extra cash to give a member a hand . PM me if u want to give me some advice or anyone know of the manual to get to do this timing chain..

many thanks in advance to all the members

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
symptom for my timing chain issue before was:

engine less responsive
chain rattles only when starting car
engine a bit wobbly
scanned codes P0016 P0018

fixed it myself but i can understand why mechanics wants $1600 to do it. i think that's a fair price, considering its a major pain job to do.
good luck with it.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you have some manual or your a mech. to give you the procedure on changing the timing chain.

bobby001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
There is a mechanic in dandenong who fixes it for about 500 dollars even less if it has had the maifold amp rework

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
i am looking at having to change timing chain on my SV6 error codes have been told its timing chain. even though many ppl even holden told me the 07 didn't have issues with the timing chain.

MY07s did indeed have timing chain issues, but only until the chain was updated in between late April and early June. What month was your car built? It's on the compliance plate.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
do u know who the mechanic is in dandenong.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
There is a mechanic in dandenong who fixes it for about 500 dollars even less if it has had the maifold amp rework

You would be hard pressed to find quality parts to complete the job for that much.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Anyone got more info on the software that fixes the hardware haha

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
Just got the new software done 17/4/12. Dumbass dealers didn't know it needed a vim connector so I have to wait until that gets sorted. Should be fine after that. The car with update runs a bit better so far but light still remains on unroll I get the vim. However i think some mechs would want you to do the chain because more money in their back pocket. Keeps ppl like sabdog in a job

StatesmanV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5 ltr
I know holden has brought out software upgrades for 07/08/10/11 ve v6 for error codes on timing chains so they dont need chain until this software upgrade has been installed, only 09 ve v6 need timing chains. for dtc p0008 set.
I would recommend paying the hours labour charge for new software upgrade first than spending many thousand of dollars repair on chains.