Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flash Tune v's Custom Tune

myfirstssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've recently had an OTRCAI and more recently a KPM 2.5 cat back fitted. I also had the AFM disabled as I was having vibration issues before the cat back went on! My SSV is currently running like crap! Goin through petrol (approx 16-17lts per 100km, calm city driving) and mates have said it doesn't sound right! I'm looking into getting a tune done but what's the best way of going? I like the idea of the DIY flash tune that also had 2 other tune options (as well as keepin factory tune if needed due to anal holden dealers). I've been told the KPM custom dyno tune is better for my car but will I be able to go back to factory tune if need be?? I'm not after a massive power increase only.. Id like some sort of economy (to a point... Yes I know it's a V8) The car is still used as a family car as well as my toy! :)
Any advice would be great!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you had a OTRCAi installed, did you get a mafless tune done as well?

Based on the info provided, i say no as you are asking for a tune.

Is the MAF disabled or just removed?

myfirstssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
No I still have the MAF sensor! So no mafless tune done! Tryin to keep it legal as possible (for now)

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I think the op ment the active fuel management has been disabled my ssv gets really bad economy round town to and it's compleatly stock with 12000km but take it on th hwy can get 900km with afm

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey I've just had an OTRCAI installed on my car. You must get a tune (fully recommend a dyno tune) when you put the OTR on. The OTR allows a **** load more air into your engine so the only way the car knows how to handle it is to pump fuel in like there's no tomorrow. When the tune your car they can bring down the fuel air ratio and add some timing in, this will add more power and make your car more responsive. More importantly it will drop the fuel consumption. What city are u from?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Get a custom tune done. Been there and done that with flash tunes, ended up with a custom tune and it's heaps better.

myfirstssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey I've just had an OTRCAI installed on my car. You must get a tune (fully recommend a dyno tune) when you put the OTR on. The OTR allows a **** load more air into your engine so the only way the car knows how to handle it is to pump fuel in like there's no tomorrow. When the tune your car they can bring down the fuel air ratio and add some timing in, this will add more power and make your car more responsive. More importantly it will drop the fuel consumption. What city are u from?

Cheers for the advice! I'm from Adelaide! I'm prob gonna get the tune from KPM

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
All good. Not sure what you can do about switching back to your standard tune. Ask your tuner. He might suggest putting a standard ECU in when u go to holden. Holden wiped my tune on Tuesday lol, IDIOTS!

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
take the car to Holden or a mechanic with a scan tool, I think you will find one of your o2 sensors is ####ed. if not both of them. hence the rough running and the high fuel usage, probably wanna do an oil change and new spark plugs aswell..

then when you get time doing a remote tune or a custom dyno tune will make your car run better, as your car has minimul modifications i'd be very surprised if there was much difference between dyno and everyday driving tune

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Your fuel consumption seems fine for 6L around town.

What exact changes did you notice after CAI and exhaust ? It should not make your car run like crap