Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine bay clean - best way?

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
I bought a country car and it's got grasshopper guts and squashed bugs everywhere inside the engine bay.

What's the best and safest way to go about cleaning it all out so it's mickey mouse clean?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
same old way used for years
degreaser, sponge, brush and water with a side of plastic bags to.cover your electrics

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just clean it as above and use compressed air to blow everything dry - paying particular attention to where the spark plugs are as they tend to fill up with water and short out.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Just let loose with the degreaser\ cleaners and water, just watch out you dont drown the electrics or the air intake for some reason, i like to let it dry out int he sun after for a while before starting it again just in case i have drowned it (anything is possible with me)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
So long as you haven't flooded your electrics, there's no issue starting it straight up - can even use the temp from idling to help dry it.

Bag up any OTRs or exposed pods, alternator and coil packs (if the engine cover is removed - if not, they're covered anyway). I use a pressure cleaner to rinse, but keep the nozzle some distance away - no need to try to force water where it doesn't need to be and it doesn't take much water to rinse everything away.

A good APC degreaser and a few soft brushes is all you really need. Dress plastics and rubbers with something like 303 Aerospace.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Will degreaser really get insect guts and stuff off? I thought it would only work on oil and grease..

Ok - I'll bag it up and spray it heaps > pressure clean it > high pressure air dry

Thanks guys :)

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Will degreaser really get insect guts and stuff off? I thought it would only work on oil and grease..

Ok - I'll bag it up and spray it heaps > pressure clean it > high pressure air dry

Degreaser will work like a charm

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08

Take note of what Tinsnips said though "I use a pressure cleaner to rinse, but keep the nozzle some distance away". A lot of people will tell you not to use high pressure water near your car as it can do damage from damaging wire/paint/seals or forcing water where it shouldn't be. I too do use a pressure sprayer sometimes as it uses less water and I believe the added air movement/blowing stuff off helps. Really can't stress enough though that you're not cleaning the driveway, be careful and don't put the nozzle too close. Never had an issue using it myself by being careful.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Take note of what Tinsnips said though "I use a pressure cleaner to rinse, but keep the nozzle some distance away". A lot of people will tell you not to use high pressure water near your car as it can do damage from damaging wire/paint/seals or forcing water where it shouldn't be. I too do use a pressure sprayer sometimes as it uses less water and I believe the added air movement/blowing stuff off helps. Really can't stress enough though that you're not cleaning the driveway, be careful and don't put the nozzle too close. Never had an issue using it myself by being careful.

Thanks Muke. Do you bag anything up, or cover anything when you do yours?