Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Warning ?? VE Alloytec

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So i went for a drive today and just as i pulled into a carpark the Alternator warning popped up on the centre screen. It came up again after shopping then disappeared.
It's the first time i have seen this warning and i've had the car over 2 years. It's got 180,000 k's on it.

Did a search and found an old thread about a rusty terminal so i will check that out. Has anyone here had to replace their Alternator on a VE Alloytec ? I see Holmart has them for about $290 if i need to go that way... would i need the 100 or 120 Amp unit ? It is a series 1 Berlina.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hasn't anyone had this issue before ?
I checked what i can see of my alternator and it is a 100 Amp unit and i can't see any corrosion on anything, but its hidden away pretty well se i can't see much.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
With those 180000 kms and operating hours on the car the brushes in the alternator will be badly worn and need replacing. They are a wear item and do not last indefinitely. At the same time change the voltage regulator . Or you can renew the entire alternator.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Take the car to an Auto Electrician to have the problem diagnosed. To do otherwise could be a complete waste of your money as it seems you do not have a very high understanding of automotive electronics. Good luck.

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Hasn't anyone had this issue before ?
I checked what i can see of my alternator and it is a 100 Amp unit and i can't see any corrosion on anything, but its hidden away pretty well se i can't see much.
Follow up?? Same issue here

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I just ignored it and it went away!
It's happened to others on here, bloody hot day, aircon on high alt light comes on for no reason.