Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve sv6 series 2keys

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
Hey guys I've got the normal keys for the car, just bought the flip key but my question is can I use my current buttons and put them on the flip key?

Last edited:

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
No you will need to get the transponder reprogrammed by Holden. Quite an expensive exercise.

timc83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS
The Remote will change over fron your standard key, but the key itself has a transponder chip inside it and will require programming into your car.

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
Thanks I know a few guys that can do it, never knew the key has a chip inside it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
The correct answer is yes! Your key comes apart with two separate parts, one being the key head and the other the transponder/buttons. The transponder section with the buttons will fit directly into the flip key, you will need to cut the new flip key head.

The remaining section of your original key will still work in the ignition only.

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
Thanks, the flip key only costed me $75 on eBay genuine . If you want I can paste you the link

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
No it won't work. There are two parts, the blade and the remote. The blade section has the transponder and will need to be programmed as well as cut. This is for the immobilizer, your can't won't start without a programmed matching transponder. The remote is for the doors/alarm and has nothing to do with the immobilizer.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Interestingly, the Pontiac G8 (US version of this car), you can actually programme both parts of the key yourself.

The key is purchased as two sections: the key blade and immobilizer section (A) and the remote keyless entry and remote start system section (B).
Do not join the two key sections until programming is complete.
To program a new section (A):
1. Insert the original, already programmed key into the ignition and start the engine. If the engine does not start, see your dealer/retailer.
2. Remove the key from the ignition.
3. Insert and turn the new section (A) to ON/RUN within five seconds of removing the original key.
4. Turn the new section (A) to LOCK/OFF. Section (A) is now programmed.

To program a new section (B):
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the new section (A). The vehicle must be in PARK (P).
2. Select Remote Key from the personalization menu.
3. Select Program.
4. Press Q and W on the new section (B), at the same time, until you hear two beeps.
5. Repeat Step 4 for all other keys, including keys that require programming or ones previously programmed to the vehicle. Any key not reprogrammed will be erased.
6. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
7. Join sections (A) and (B) until they click. Do not join the two key sections until programming is complete.
Do not leave the key or device that disarms or deactivates the theft deterrent system in the vehicle

Obviously the commodore is missing the menu to do the remote part, but I wonder if the transponder programming would work?

Wouldn't these cars have the same computer?

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
Well I spoke to a locksmith he reckons he can use the same button pad from the standard length key onto the flip key, apparently he just needs top copy the code onto the new key and cut it for $35. I'm getting it done next week, and ill keep you guys upto date on the outcome. Holden reckon it will cost around $185, lol

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Well I spoke to a locksmith he reckons he can use the same button pad from the standard length key onto the flip key, apparently he just needs top copy the code onto the new key and cut it for $35. I'm getting it done next week, and ill keep you guys upto date on the outcome. Holden reckon it will cost around $185, lol

If this works this would be great finally an affordable way to change it over. There should be cheaper ways of doing it rather than holden just having the monopoly